Southwest Chief Re-Route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. I misunderstood what I was told. The I was once on the pioneer. I used to work that route, sort of.
I can't even begin to parse what you're trying to say here. You used to work the Pioneer, but didn't know where it goes? Or you did, but were told about the route of the Empire Builder and have never looked at what stations it served?

I'm completely befuddled here.

I'll be a little nicer.

It's obvious you have a lot of excitement about Amtrak. That's great. Amtrak needs as many enthusiastic supporters as it can get.

It's painfully obvious that you've got a LOT to learn. Read everything about you can about Amtrak. Resist the urge to post dumb, easily disprove stuff. Listen and learn from the really smart people here.

With knowledge and enthusiasm you can do great things.

With enthusiasm and a crushing lack of knowledge, you're just going to make Amtrak supporters look like idiots.

I know a lot more about Amtrak than you think. I'm a modern day kinda guy, that's why I like phase IVb.

Amtrak172

I know. I misunderstood what I was told. The I was once on the pioneer. I used to work that route, sort of.
I can't even begin to parse what you're trying to say here. You used to work the Pioneer, but didn't know where it goes? Or you did, but were told about the route of the Empire Builder and have never looked at what stations it served?
Ok, it's time for you to pick on someone else. Leave me the f... alone. I'm not sure why you need to do this?

Amtrak172

Last edited by a moderator:
Towns that are only serviced by Amtrak will find another way, if it comes to that.

Amtrak could 100% disappear tomorrow and people will find a way to get to and from where they need to be. Pick a town, any town. Alliance, NE used to be a stop on BN up until the 60's. Their population continued to grow through the 80s and is still in existence without Amtrak, Greyhound OR essential air service.

Note: RyanS is painfully truthful. He really has no tact or filter. But he's generally right about stuff regarding Amtrak. His delivery could certainly improve, but he knows that and doesn't change it. This site is certainly not run by him, but he's going to be here and post longer than most of us. Apparently, he's a swell guy in person.

Ok, it's time for you to pick on someone else. Leave me the f... alone. I'm not sure why you need to do this? This is supposed to be a friendly discussion right? Or is it run by a couple of pricks like you?
I asked a genuine question. I was completely unable to make out what you were trying to say there. Try explaining it better?

escalated_quickly.jpg

Ok, it's time for you to pick on someone else. Leave me the f... alone. I'm not sure why you need to do this? This is supposed to be a friendly discussion right? Or is it run by a couple of pricks like you?
I asked a genuine question. I was completely unable to make out what you were trying to say there. Try explaining it better?
You just missed a golden opportunity to use your new "escalated" pic, Ryan.

Really? The Cascades go all the way to Boise?

Also, this timetable disagrees with you about Miami.

attachicon.gif
SL_Miami.jpg

I'll be a little nicer.

It's obvious you have a lot of excitement about Amtrak. That's great. Amtrak needs as many enthusiastic supporters as it can get.

It's painfully obvious that you've got a LOT to learn. Read everything about you can about Amtrak. Resist the urge to post dumb, easily disprove stuff. Listen and learn from the really smart people here.

With knowledge and enthusiasm you can do great things.

With enthusiasm and a crushing lack of knowledge, you're just going to make Amtrak supporters look like idiots.

I know a lot more about Amtrak than you think. I'm a modern day kinda guy, that's why I like phase IVb.

Amtrak172
It doesn't show.

I said the timetable disagreed with his assertion on the last page that the Sunset never went to Miami.

He tried to say something in reply, botched the quote and added no content. Several of his posts have consisted of nothing more than a quote of someone else's post.

Yeah, when picture attachments are quoted, the picture turns into a link, so you don't have the same picture repeated a bunch of times down the page. It's kind of cool.

Also, this just in. Since the Texas Eagle runs to LA (3x a week, at least), we can just cancel the SWC since they both run CHI-LA. They're just like the exact same train.

Say what? The Cascades run from Southern Oregon to Vancouer,BC and are a State Supported Route! The Pioneer, as was said, was a Long Distance Train between Chicago, Portland and Seattle!

Time to do some research young man, lots of us actually are old enough to have ridden these Trains!

Really? The Cascades go all the way to Boise?
Also, this timetable disagrees with you about Miami.
attachicon.gif
SL_Miami.jpg
Hi Amtrak172,

I don't understand what about the timetable you posted is in disagreement with what RyanS posted. They both show Train 2, the Sunset Limited going all the way to Miami.
When they first extended the Sunset in 1990s (not sure of the exact date), it did run all the way through to Miami and they changed the OBS crew in New Orleans. That didn't last terribly long and it was cut back to Orlando in a relatively short length of time, and ran the same OBS crew LA-Orlando.

I rode it in the late 90s all the way from LA to Orlando.

I had to fiddle with the link to get it to show up, as it was giving me another thread. Here it is, pasted, and if this is true I would take this as very good news. I too scratch my head over the numbers.

LINK

A southeastern Colorado Amtrak line with an uncertain future received a big boost Tuesday with the announcement of a federal grant.

Eleven Colorado communities along with the state of Kansas, Amtrak and Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad (BNSF) applied for the TIGER transportation grant with the goal of saving the Southwest Chief line.

The US Department of Transportation awarded $12.5 million to save the existing line, which surpasses the $9.3 million Colorado communities and Kansas offered up as a match.

The Southwest Chief line runs from Chicago to Los Angeles. It cuts through the heart of Kansas and the southeastern corner of Colorado.

I don't understand why they would want to add Pueblo. I don't see how that improves anything.

If I remember right, the old Caprock Chief idea would have included Pueblo along a route that went from Forth Worth to Denver. I loved that idea but it never caught on. Just the same, Pueblo makes sense in that context. It just doesn't make sense along the Southwest Chief, to me anyway.

Pueblo won't happen. For now talking it up is a way to disgorge some money out of Pueblo County I suppose. They will have to come up with much more than over the $200 million required over 20 years to keep the train running for 20 years on its current route. To run it via Pueblo they will have to find the funds for an additional consist or two as a starter. Those guys are either dreaming or smoking something if they think they can just add 3 hours to the running time of the SWC and just route it via a huge jog to Pueblo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back