Southwest Chief Menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Becky

Has the SW Chief switched to the Cross Country Cafe? Or will it be a regular menu? Is there a specific SW Chief menu somewhere?

I had a taste of CCC in June on the TE. It was OK, but not great. I'm just trying to figure out how many (Fred Sanford's) chicken wings I should take with me :D

The Southwest Chief still runs with a normal dining car running SDS type service. They use the same national menu as most of the rest of the trains, with the specials reflecting the trains' destinations or heritage. You can find the menu by clicking here. Note: You'll need Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer to view the menu.

The Southwest Chief still runs with a normal dining car running SDS type service. They use the same national menu as most of the rest of the trains, with the specials reflecting the trains' destinations or heritage. You can find the menu by clicking here. Note: You'll need Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer to view the menu.
AlanB. this reply comes several months after your post. But, if by chance you see it, I found your reply VERY helpful. Thanks.

--chh

I liked the cafe thing. It was neat. I believe that both the CZ and EB do not have the CC cafe, oh well maybe some other time. Also whats the word on the flat iron steak? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Does the Texas Eagle run with the CCC? I had some family recently travel overnight and they said the food was terrible and had service to match.

Does the Texas Eagle run with the CCC? I had some family recently travel overnight and they said the food was terrible and had service to match.

It did when I was on it. However, that being said. There were some issues on my TE trip and we had to be bussed from Del Rio into Dallas. The Texas Eagle into Del Rio that should have gone on to Chicago didn't. But the one from Dallas to CHI did.

Both the Capitol Limited and the Texas Eagle use a CCC car as their dining car, but it does not play the dual role that it was designed to play, that being quasi-diner and cafe car. Only on the City of New Orleans does the CCC play the dual role of diner/cafe car.

The only other train that is somewhat similar is the Cardinal, which uses a Diner-lite car to play the dual role of diner/cafe. But that is still different from the City of NOL, in that the Diner-lite car has no grill to cook anything on, unlike the CCC which still has a grill and oven.

While not as efficient as a full Diner, with a good LSA, server and downstairs staff, the CCC can turn out good well served food. Every time I've been on the TE, because lounging is still done in the Sightseer Lounge, the train crew takes over the Lounge side of the CCC and holds court there for the entire journey. Sometimes it seems like running a gauntlet getting past them.

When I was travelling on the CZ last year, I had a waiter that usually worked the Texas Eagle. After bantering with him a bit and gaining some trust, I asked him, "so what's the CCC like on the Texas Eagle?" He looked at me, leaned over and whispered, "a friggin' toilet on wheels!" :lol: I much prefer the dining cars than the CCC.

Al

When I was travelling on the CZ last year, I had a waiter that usually worked the Texas Eagle. After bantering with him a bit and gaining some trust, I asked him, "so what's the CCC like on the Texas Eagle?" He looked at me, leaned over and whispered, "a friggin' toilet on wheels!" :lol: I much prefer the dining cars than the CCC.
Al
While one may like or not like the Cross Country cafe, the suggestion that it is unsanitary is nonsense. It may be good, it may be bad, but it is no more or less clean than a conventional dining car.

Both the Capitol Limited and the Texas Eagle use a CCC car as their dining car, but it does not play the dual role that it was designed to play, that being quasi-diner and cafe car. Only on the City of New Orleans does the CCC play the dual role of diner/cafe car.
I am traveling on the Capitol Limited late next month and this post has led to yet another question... The Capitol Limited uses a CCC Car for dining, but they still have a regular dining car menu, right?? (like what would be seen on the SW Chief)

I am traveling on the Capitol Limited late next month and this post has led to yet another question... The Capitol Limited uses a CCC Car for dining, but they still have a regular dining car menu, right?? (like what would be seen on the SW Chief)
Correct, the CCC on the Capitol Limited uses the standard dining car menu.

Al
While one may like or not like the Cross Country cafe, the suggestion that it is unsanitary is nonsense. It may be good, it may be bad, but it is no more or less clean than a conventional dining car.
My reading of "toilet on wheels" wasn't as a comment on sanitation but as a way of saying "it's a crock of ...." :huh: That's certainly a sentiment I've heard (second- and third-hand) from Amtrak crews before.

Has the SW Chief switched to the Cross Country Cafe? Or will it be a regular menu? Is there a specific SW Chief menu somewhere?
I had a taste of CCC in June on the TE. It was OK, but not great. I'm just trying to figure out how many (Fred Sanford's) chicken wings I should take with me :D
on the SWC this past fall I had one of the best steaks I've ever had on a train, hopefully you get the same chief, be sure and try it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back