Southwest Chief - How Many Chefs?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lthanlon

OBS Chief
I just returned from a Los Angeles-Chicago trip on the Southwest Chief. I didn't get a chance to ask any train personnel to confirm, but several passengers insisted that only one of two chefs intended for the dining car were on duty. How many chefs normally staff the dining car?

One or two depending on the passenger load.
Thanks, Alan. One of the train personnel did tell me that there were about 40 passengers in sleepers and 60 in coach, so perhaps the lower numbers of passengers accounted for there being only one chef. I still think the guy was kept busy, though.

During peak seasons (summer, and Thanksgiving through New Year) there are 2. Other times, 1 unless there's a large group or heavy passenger load. October and February are terrible months for chefs on the extra board; if they're not cross-trained, they are subject to furlough.

Travel light!

~BJG

I just returned from a Los Angeles-Chicago trip on the Southwest Chief. I didn't get a chance to ask any train personnel to confirm, but several passengers insisted that only one of two chefs intended for the dining car were on duty. How many chefs normally staff the dining car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back