Southwest Chief Departure Track LAUS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure thought someone would have replied. I guess the people who know have not been on.

It came in on track 11.
Yeah that's pretty typical. Either 11 or 12, it's a toss up. Since the train pulls in closer to rush hour, Amtrak functionally only uses the last platform. They are usually limited to 9,10,11, and 12, and I've occasionally come in on 8, but during rush hour they give 9 and 10 to Metrolink.

I was talking to our attendant about the new platforms being built. He heard after finished that Amtrak would move to the lower tracks and Metrolink would take the higher numbered tracks. Course he did not know that for sure, just what he heard.

I was talking to our attendant about the new platforms being built. He heard after finished that Amtrak would move to the lower tracks and Metrolink would take the higher numbered tracks. Course he did not know that for sure, just what he heard.
I have heard that Amtrak was to be moved to the middle tracks with Metrolink taking the tracks on the far ends.

I have heard that Amtrak was to be moved to the middle tracks with Metrolink taking the tracks on the far ends.
I haven't heard any rumors of any changes. I assumed Amtrak would get 13 and 14, maybe 15 if it's built? and Metrolink would gain unimpeded access to 9 and 10 as well. It would surprise me a lot if Amtrak took the lower tracks, because even though those are slated for run-through, there is no way that some of the longer LD trains would fit comfortably on those tracks. they are short enough that I don't think Metrolink double-platforms them on the first two it controls, and maybe not on 5 or 6 either. I don't think there are any improvements being made to lengthen those, and I'm really not sure if there is even room to do that in the first place. I don;t think Amtrak will split up and keep 14 and 15 for LD's and 3 & 4 for the PacSurfs. I genuinely believe that it makes the most sense to have them keep the new 3, 11 & 12, and give Metrolink 9 & 10, so Metrolink has a net gain of 2 and Amtrak of 1. What I don't get is why there would be room to construct a platform for 15 but there wouldn't be any room just for a track there for 16. If they're worried about the walk for Amtrak pax as a reason to move them to the lower tracks, then I think a better solution would be to add moving walkways between the stairs/ramps. Would help out Amtrak and Metrolink pax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back