Southwest Chief - chicago to los angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[...] or walking through a couple old hotels like the Palmer or Chicago Hilton to see the old style lobbies and the grandness of these hotels years ago.
This is one of the the often overlooked aspects to sightseeing in Chicago. Everyone talks about the parks or the museums (which are fine), but there's some real architectural gems in the Second City. When the weather's nice, I like to walk towards the 'Y' in the Chicago River and just gawk at the marvelous architecture as well as people-watch. Even the insides of the buildings, like the Merchandise Mart, have a style and construction of a long-gone era. If one is staying overnight, many of the buildings are lit up rather nicely at night, as well. Those options are free, but other low-cost ways of seeing the city are taking the Water Taxi and riding the CTA Green or Brown line and being able to take a complete tour of the Loop in about two hours.

Thanks people. I set off today!! If I check my bag will it go on the Lake Shore and then transfered to the SWC to LA or will I need to pick it up in Chicago and check it again?

So glad of this forum btw!!

No worries. Amtrak will transfer your checked baggage in Chicago for you. Just be sure you check the bag all the way to LA when you check it at the beginning of your trip. Incidentally, I'll be on today''s(13th) Lake Shore Limited Albany to Chicago changing in Chicago to City of New Orleans. I always check my larger back and let Amtrak handle the transfer. If in sleeper you can day check your smaller bag in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago while you wait on your connecting train.

Thanks. Checked it this morning to Los Angeles. Ill look out for you and say hi!!

A Little Update - For the first time, Amtrak mishandled my checked bag. While the bag was clearly marked when I checked it in with a CHI change tag, Albany Amtrak apparently sent my bag a day late and via New York. Since going through Chicago is a day longer than the Chicago route, I arrived in New Orleans 3 PM on the CONO but my bag did not arrive until 8 PM on the Cresent. New Orleans Amtrak employee were very nice and helpful and had my bag delivered to me at my hotel. Kudos to New Orleans Amtrak. Not at all happy with Albany, NY, Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back