Southwest Chief # 3 Chicago to Las Vegas Spring '15 Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

illinoisandy

Train Attendant
We are planning a trip from Chicago to Las Vegas on # 3 Southwest Chief via Kingman next spring and have a few questions,

1. Track Conditions overall and specific to the Western Kansas / Raton Pass portion? We rode the CONO a few years ago and South of Memphis we felt the track was a bad ride, is this what we are up for? Also is 90 mph on the Transcon smooth as reasonable for a faster moving train?
  2. Sleeping, we have on hold Car 0330 Room E, which based on prior forums seems to be a good room. Typically will the above mentioned track condition switch from CWR on Transcon to the Secondary route jointed rail be noticeable? Is sleeping perpendicular to the rail tend to be a better sleeping experience or is it dependent on track and personal experience?
  3. Employees and riders, individually and crew as whole, good to bad experiences? Our Round trip on CONO was very good going down and not good coming back, very noticeable difference, is this just the way crews are? Do the Long distance western routes have any noticeable difference in riders vs. Midwest regional and CONO riders, good or bad?
  4. Connection in Kingman to Las Vegas, any more recent experiences? Does the service provide prompt service considering the overall lateness of # 3 that far into the route? From what I’ve read it works well but the time of night is just bad. At least I think a couple of things may be open in Vegas when we get there!
  5. Route Change, one of the reasons we have agreed to take the trip is the route funding issue for the Raton Pass part of the route, is this still very up in the air and or what likelihood based on all the parties involved the route will go to the Tanscon by 2016 range?

Thanks for any feedback on these questions.

At least I think a couple of things may be open in Vegas when we get there!

Thanks for any feedback on these questions.
Aloha

No matter what time you arrive in Vegas, most places will be open. We really are a 24 hour town. Since the Van goes to the Airport getting anywhere on the Strip will be easy, and not much harder if you are heading downtown.

We were in Car 0330 and Room D last month. Nice ride but rough in western Kansas. Crews were excellent in both sleeper and diner. Late night arrival in Kingman is not fun, but the van and trailer that picks you up was there when we arrived. Only went to Laughlin, but the experience was o.k.

Situation with changing to Trancom route is still up in the air. Its why we took our trip this summer, just in case. Wanted to see Raton Pass one more time.

I rode the SWC #3 in May 2013 and 2014 over part of the route you are planning.

Don't know about the Las Vegas NV connection.

1. Track condition - maybe was a bit rough western Kansas - I was in coach and slept well. On the Raton part - was slow, but smooth. Didn't notice the 90mph parts at all.

2. Sleeping -- lengthways versus crossways -- some say one thing, some say opposite - It's totally personal preference -- me - never notice a difference -

3. Crew and pax -- The three segments I rode - crew above average for AMTK - no real problems, one SCA exceptional, others good, one coach car attendant real good for that one coach segment. Passengers - dining car tablemates interesting and polite, no real bounders in coach - even on the one stretch where the train was totally sold out and several coach pax had to wait two stops in the lounge for their seats. Overall, good.

And -- in ABQ -- they wash the windows.

• Route Change, one of the reasons we have agreed to take the trip is the route funding issue for the Raton Pass part of the route, is this still very up in the air and or what likelihood based on all the parties involved the route will go to the Tanscon by 2016 range?
The train will, barring major washouts, stay on the Raton Pass Route through the end of 2015. It seems almost certain, based on the situation as it is now, that it will be rerouted (or worse, cancelled) in 2016, but various groups are scrambling for funds, so it could stay put. Hard to tell.

My wife and I rode #3 on July 12th thru the14th (arriving in Fullerton CA 12 hours late). No problem for us... we had a nice roomette, great neighbors, and plenty of food! (the diner did a fine job of combining food and making sure everyone got fed)

I did not notice any track problems or at least I could not pinpoint the roughest areas. I did however wake up one morning and my GPS listed 92.1 MPH somewhere over night!

We had a bedroom on the eastbound California Zephyr... we did of course notice the different bed orientation... but we had no problems with either orientation. We greatly enjoyed the bedroom over the roomette... but both were very good!

Crew on #3... they were excellent! Julio as the SCA was very helpful and friendly... always passing out water as needed. The diner was represented by some fine folks: Star, Linda, and Angela! Very friendly and helpful.

I did not notice our windows getting a wash on the #3... but on the CZ they were washed all around the train... very fast job... and not a very good job either, but better than they were. The two guys who did it were going way too fast... and missing a lot. They would not do the very last window on the end of the car facing back. This is where many photographers took pics... the washers ignored my request to do that one window!

Overall... we totally enjoyed the SWC and the many sights of that route! One conductor stood out above some of the others, I think her name was Marti. She made more announcements and kept us more informed as we grew later and later. (mostly #2 engine problems)

Thanks everyone who provided replies and information, I was able to find a great travelogue from Michigan Mom from April 14 that gave positive review to the KNG –LAS shuttle service. Based on feedback / reviews, current room and price, possible reroute issues will plan to book. As a side note Las Vegas is one of our favorite vacations spots, the “a couple things open” was just a little joking around.

Just make sure you don't confuse it with the other Las Vegas you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back