Some questions from a first time Amtrak traveler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I just found this forum a day ago and have been reading some of the topics and sections. I'm still reading a lot but would like to ask several questions about an upcoming trip I am planning. I apologize if some of the questions sound stupid or have been asked before.

Around the middle of next month, my boyfriend and I will be traveling from Newark Penn Station, NJ (NWK) to Thurmond, WV (THN). From what my sister tells me, the Thurmond stop is just a tiny country stop with a platform. My somewhat stupid question for this is will the train know to stop here to let us off? We also plan to use this same stop 2 weeks later to leave WV to head for Riverside, CA (RIV). Will the train know to stop there to pick us up?

The trip from WV to CA will take roughly 3 or 4 days of travel. We can't afford a roomette as we are trying to save our money because we are moving to CA to be with my boyfriends family. I was curious if there is an on board shower anywhere or do they have them at any major stations? If not, what are your recommendations for helping keep clean.

I'm pretty excited since this will be our first ever trip by train. I have read about ups and downs from other travelers experiences but hope our experience will be a fun and decent one. :) I'm sure I'll post more questions later. Thanks!

You may already know this -meals are included in the price of the roomettes/bedrooms .

Yes the train will know to stop to let you off and to stop to pick you up. The conductor (captain of the ship) will have a manifest with all passengers names & where they are boarding/retraining.

Enjoy your trip.

Since Thurmond is a flag stop, the train does not stop there if nobody is scheduled to board/alight there. When you are leaving, it can't hurt to check with the conductor somewhere around Prince, WV whether he/she knows. Boarding, just stand in a visible place near, but not too close to, the track.

As for showers, no, there are no showers anywhere (on trains or in stations) for coach passengers.
sad.gif

Hi! Welcome to the forum! :) As stated, there are no showers in the coaches. There are showers in sleepers, for use by sleeper passengers only. As far as keeping clean, what I would do is take a supply of rags and towels, and wash up in the coach bathroom. Last year I had to ride coach from Chicago to Los Angeles after a train I had a sleeper in was cancelled. I'm cursed with extremely oily hair and can't stand unwashed hair. I was still able to shampoo my hair adequately in the bathroom. The environment within a coach is such that you shouldn't have much trouble staying clean.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi everyone! I just found this forum a day ago and have been reading some of the topics and sections. I'm still reading a lot but would like to ask several questions about an upcoming trip I am planning. I apologize if some of the questions sound stupid or have been asked before. Around the middle of next month, my boyfriend and I will be traveling from Newark Penn Station, NJ (NWK) to Thurmond, WV (THN). From what my sister tells me, the Thurmond stop is just a tiny country stop with a platform. My somewhat stupid question for this is will the train know to stop here to let us off? We also plan to use this same stop 2 weeks later to leave WV to head for Riverside, CA (RIV). Will the train know to stop there to pick us up? The trip from WV to CA will take roughly 3 or 4 days of travel. We can't afford a roomette as we are trying to save our money because we are moving to CA to be with my boyfriends family. I was curious if there is an on board shower anywhere or do they have them at any major stations? If not, what are your recommendations for helping keep clean. I'm pretty excited since this will be our first ever trip by train. I have read about ups and downs from other travelers experiences but hope our experience will be a fun and decent one. :) I'm sure I'll post more questions later. Thanks!
First of all, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers. ;)

If you can ticket to or from a given station then the train is guaranteed to stop there, even if it's just a tiny flag stop out in the middle of nowhere. The conductor will know to stop there and the car attendant will know to receive you or remind you to get off because your tickets will be on the manifest. The only time this won't happen is if there is some sort of irregular operating conditions (severe weather, major maintenance, unexpected catastrophe) that makes this especially difficult or impossible. Even then you should be notified by Amtrak of whatever the solution is by phone and/or email. So, be sure to include correct contact information and update it whenever necessary.

There are several showers on most long distance trains. Unfortunately they are only for the exclusive use of sleeper passengers. No exceptions whatsoever. I would suggest considering a two-part ticket if possible, with the longer part being a coach ticket and a shorter part being a roomette where you're able to get cleaned up before arriving. It may take a little while to figure out what sort of tickets the reservation system will allow and how much it will cost you, but it's the only way I know of to get around the zero-tolerance shower rule for coach passengers. In the past there were showers at many stations for use by anyone but that is no longer the case today. If coach passengers were provided showers it would probably be a much nicer ride for them, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, and certainly not before your trip.

In any case the number one thing to remember about Amtrak is that it doesn't work like most other transportation systems. Many of the differences are relatively subtle, and once you get familiar with the process it's pretty easy to work with, but those first few trips can be a little perplexing to the uninitiated. A clear head and a calm attitude can do wonders for your first experience. Try to put as much slack into your schedule as possible and roll with whatever happens.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to American passenger rail travel! First and foremost, if you have expectations based off of experiences with airline travel, please take this opportunity to toss them into the closest trash receptacle. For both good and bad, Amtrak is an entirely different animal. But, if you look around the forum here for any period of time, you'll come to understand that we think that the good far outweighs the inconveniences. You will enjoy your trip!

If you have not already checked it out, please take a look at AmSnag! While getting a roomette on your leg from WV to (I suspect Chicago) may be rather difficult and very expensive, the price for the connecting train may be a lot more affordable. Be aware, the cost of upgrading to sleeper from coach is the same for two people!! You pay for the accomodation, which means that upgrade charge is paid once, and it will drop the price of what the rail fare (the cost of your coach ticket) down to the lowest price Amtrak charges for that route (also known as "low bucket"). The fact that meals are included in the sleeper price, as well as all the coffee you can drink, a personal attendant in your car to handle your needs, access to much less trafficked toilets and to a full shower facility, along with first-class lounge access and priority boarding in Chicago and Los Angeles! All very worth the upgrade price if you can get a good deal.

And if you have not already done so, anyone of us here will rave about Amtrak's version of a frequent flyer program: Amtrak Guest Rewards! The vast majority of us are all members, and the program is constantly rated as one of the best in the entire travel industry. You will earn some serious points with a trip like yours, and with moving to a place like California, you can certainly use the rewards for free Amtrak travel or other perks in a place so heavily served. And if one of us refers you, the two of us will get a bonus 500 points; 1/3rd the way to a free trip on a route like Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner between San Luis Obispo and San Diego!

Hi everyone! I just found this forum a day ago and have been reading some of the topics and sections. I'm still reading a lot but would like to ask several questions about an upcoming trip I am planning. I apologize if some of the questions sound stupid or have been asked before.

Around the middle of next month, my boyfriend and I will be traveling from Newark Penn Station, NJ (NWK) to Thurmond, WV (THN). From what my sister tells me, the Thurmond stop is just a tiny country stop with a platform. My somewhat stupid question for this is will the train know to stop here to let us off? We also plan to use this same stop 2 weeks later to leave WV to head for Riverside, CA (RIV). Will the train know to stop there to pick us up?

The trip from WV to CA will take roughly 3 or 4 days of travel. We can't afford a roomette as we are trying to save our money because we are moving to CA to be with my boyfriends family. I was curious if there is an on board shower anywhere or do they have them at any major stations? If not, what are your recommendations for helping keep clean.

I'm pretty excited since this will be our first ever trip by train. I have read about ups and downs from other travelers experiences but hope our experience will be a fun and decent one. :) I'm sure I'll post more questions later. Thanks!
About the shower question...as stated, unless you have a roomette/sleeper you do not have access to a shower. As an alternative, I suggest bringing a supply of baby/wet wipes. Use them in the restroom for the "ahem" intimate areas. They do a pretty good job of at least keeping the body from getting you might say a bit pungent.

As a military veteran who has spent a decent amount of time in the field without access to a shower, I can tell you they do help greatly!

Welcome to the civilized way to travel, and to AU! :hi:

Regarding Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR), you BOTH should join, as you can only earn poiints for your own travel! If you would like me to refer you both, please send me a PM (Private Message - click on the envelope under my name) with BOTH your email addresses. (Each AGR account MUST have a separate email address.)

I hope you enjoy your trip!

WOW! Thanks for all the fast replies, warm welcomes, and helpful tips/advice everyone! :D I'm making a list of information you guys have given me and what I have read from other threads and sites to help me plan my trip.

The only option I see for roomettes on the ticket options right now would be (from Chicago, IL to Riverside, CA only) an additional $433 added to the $452 for 2 adults. I heard that tickets could be cheaper starting on Tuesdays? There were times in the past when I checked online for tickets and they were reduced in price compared to the normal weekday pricing. Maybe those were specials that Amtrak was running for a limited time.

I have a few more questions.

-Are there accessible outlets on the train we can use for recharging cell phones, laptops, or any other devices we may use on the trip?

-Which do you guys prefer, reserved coach or lower level coach seats? (I noticed those options when checking ticket prices/options)

-Are the tickets restricted to certain seats or can we sit anywhere?

-When I do make the purchase for the tickets, is it best to have them mailed to you or just pick them up at the station?

-There was one more question I had but it's slipped my mind at the moment. :eek:hboy:

Blackwolf, the guest rewards program sounds interesting! I plan to read a bit more about it on the site shortly. I'm not to familiar with Amtrak in California but my boyfriend's family does live near the Riverside station so we could possibly use the train to travel in the future. :) The referral sounds great as well!!!

EDIT: Just remembered my question!! When I buy the tickets, do I make 2 seperate purchases or do I use the 'Multi-City Tickets' option?

@the_traveler, if I did sign up, just curious as to how both my boyfriend and I would get the rewards? lol. What I mean is, if I'm buying the tickets, how would he get the rewards as well? Would it be because he would have his own passenger information for his own ticket? Sorry if I sound confusing with my questions. It's one of those days where I think my brain is a bit off.

shoog this site is vary good for giveing vary good information

the people here on this board just know there stuff :D :D
You're absolutely right! I've been to other forums in the past for other subjects and unfortunately some were rude, not helpful at all, or the forum was dead. I'm really happy I found this forum. :D Everyone is helping with easing my tension with this trip planning lol.

-Are there accessible outlets on the train we can use for recharging cell phones, laptops, or any other devices we may use on the trip?

-Which do you guys prefer, reserved coach or lower level coach seats? (I noticed those options when checking ticket prices/options)

-When I do make the purchase for the tickets, is it best to have them mailed to you or just pick them up at the station?
- Your train from Chicago to California will certainly have outlets at every seat (actually two of them on the wall next to the window seat)

- The Superliner cars that you will be traveling on are double-deck. "Reserved coach" will give you a seat on the upper deck, so there is better view out of the window. Also, the passage from one train car to other to walk through and go to Lounge car and Diner car etc is through the upper deck too. The lower deck seats are for folks who have difficulty in climbing stairs.

- It is open seating, but depending on the attendant you have that day on your train, it may be attendant-assigned-seating or totally open seating where you can choose any empty seat.

- It is better to pick at the station, because Amtrak allows you to change or cancel your trip for full refund as long as you have not picked up your tickets. So, if you get your tickets mailed, once they reach you, you have lots out on the opportunity to get full refunds in case something happens and you have to cancel your trip. However, if you are going to take the train from a tiny flag stop that does not have staff or a ticketing kiosk, you might have to have the tickets mailed to you.

Outlets are pretty much everywhere at this point, one per seat or one per compartment. If you're able bodied it's probably best to leave the lower level seats to those who aren't. The benefit of staying down there is that it's generally quieter and there is less of the usual swaying motion than up top. Your tickets may or may not be restricted to a specific seat, but that's generally up to the car attendant to decide at the time of your boarding. If you end up being assigned seats you don't like then you can request a change and sometimes they will allow you to move somewhere else. I would pick up the tickets at the station. Otherwise if you lose them or anything at all happens to them the money is simply lost. Leaving your tickets unprinted also makes changes and refunds a lot simpler and easier. Be sure to have your drivers license with you to receive them from the counter clerk. I'll let other folks explain the mixed coach/sleeper ticket option since I'm not terribly familiar how it may impact checking luggage and the like. Since you're moving to a new state I'm guessing checked luggage will be a major consideration of yours.

-There was one more question I had but it's slipped my mind at the moment. :eek:hboy:
Yes, there are outlets. No Wi-Fi on the train you are taking.

Reserved Coach (upper level). Go to www.rrpicturearchives.com for pictures of Amtrak railcars. Lower level seats are for people who have mobility difficulties.

Seats not assigned. Attendant puts a slip at your chosen seat so others won't take it.

Just pick them up at the station.

Since our trip will have 2 sets of tickets, NJ to WV and then WV to CA, will I be able to pick up all my tickets for our trip at the NJ station? Since to the Thurmond, WV station is a flag station that we will be using when we need to leave 2 weeks after the first part of our trip. Thanks for the help so far everyone!

You earn points for the actual travel also. Each person can only earn AGR points for hiis or her own travel. If that person does not have an AGR account, those potential points are lost!

And you can also ask once onboard the train if there are any unsold rooms avaailable. And if the first conductor says no, ask the next conductor. By law, they change every 6-8 hours! And if rooms are available, you can get it for the lowest available fare! (Even if the pricee inside the station is $400, once you step aboard the train and ask onboard, the price for that same room may be $200!)

Since our trip will have 2 sets of tickets, NJ to WV and then WV to CA, will I be able to pick up all my tickets for our trip at the NJ station? Since to the Thurmond, WV station is a flag station that we will be using when we need to leave 2 weeks after the first part of our trip. Thanks for the help so far everyone!
You should be able to pick up all tickets at the NJ station. Just don't lose the WV to CA tickets while you're in WV.

I really appreciate the help and patience with all my questions. :rolleyes:

I have a couple more:

I've been looking the Amtrak site over, for meals and dining it states that credit cards are accepted. I do feel silly asking this but they do take cash, right? We were thinking about taking a couple hundred dollars in cash with us on the trip so we wouldn't have to bother using our VISA debit cards. What is everyone's opinion(s) on using cash or credit cards for their train travels?

If we do decide or manage to get a roomette on the last half of our trip, is it safe to leave personal belongings in the room (laptop, camera, purse or wallet, anything of value) if we decide to go to other parts of the train? I haven't experienced to many trips or vacations in the past and have always been paranoid with leaving my belongings unattended at hotels or other places.

EDIT:

Oh! Another question! :lol: We will be traveling on the 51 Cardinal when heading to WV and then again when heading back on our way to Chicago, the exchange to the 3 Southwest Chief for the last part of our trip. I've read that certain sides of the train are best for viewing scenery. Has anyone rode either of these trains before and recommend the best place to sit?

shoog this site is vary good for giveing vary good information

the people here on this board just know there stuff :D :D
You're absolutely right! I've been to other forums in the past for other subjects and unfortunately some were rude, not helpful at all, or the forum was dead. I'm really happy I found this forum. :D Everyone is helping with easing my tension with this trip planning lol.
everyone helped me with my up comeing trip to and there are no rude posters everyone is friendly and nice and trying to be helpful

Cash and signature cards are fine. That generally includes debit cards as well but pure ATM cards and checks are not accepted. To my knowledge it is relatively rare to lose things in a sleeper compartment and indeed I have never had anything stolen myself. However, you can't actually lock or latch your room when you're away due to the design of the doors. Nor can you bring much of anything into the diner due to lack of space. While you're out and about the motion of the train can open your doors all on its own. I would strongly recommend keeping anything of value out of sight and closing your curtains while you're outside the room. In coach I'd consider buying a security cable online to lock your laptop (and anything else it might fit through) to the chair. I would never leave a purse or wallet unattended at a coach seat or in a sleeper compartment, but maybe that's just me. If you normally carry a larger purse you may want to transfer the critical items to a smaller purse so that keeping it with you is not much of burden. Best side for viewing is... Either side of the Sightseer lounge car! ;)

Cash and signature cards are fine. That generally includes debit cards as well but pure ATM cards and checks are not accepted. To my knowledge it is relatively rare to lose things in a sleeper compartment and indeed I have never had anything stolen myself. However, you can't actually lock or latch your room when you're away due to the design of the doors. Nor can you bring much of anything into the diner due to lack of space. While you're out and about the motion of the train can open your doors all on its own. I would strongly recommend keeping anything of value out of sight and closing your curtains while you're outside the room. In coach I'd consider buying a security cable online to lock your laptop (and anything else it might fit through) to the chair. I would never leave a purse or wallet unattended at a coach seat or in a sleeper compartment, but maybe that's just me. If you normally carry a larger purse you may want to transfer the critical items to a smaller purse so that keeping it with you is not much of burden. Best side for viewing is... Either side of the Sightseer lounge car! ;)
Thank you for the idea of the laptop lock - I would have lugged mine around the whole time, along with my 3 and 4 year olds. lol

Thank you for the idea of the laptop lock - I would have lugged mine around the whole time, along with my 3 and 4 year olds. lol
dumb question of the day

what is a laptop lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back