Some questions about my first Amtrak trip!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just introduced myself to the forum :)

I'm Arvind, and I'm from Southern California. I moved to the USA last year - I'm graduating this month and visiting my folks in Pittsburgh. I'm taking the Southwest Chief on the 10th of this month, and then the Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh on the 12th. I was a train buff back in India and I'm really excited about the trip here :) I'm on a student budget, so I'm going coach on this trip! Hopefully I'll see some great snowscapes and vistas.

Looking at the forums I've prepared a list of things to pack :

Power strip for connecting appliances, Extra phone batteries, Extra camera battery, Tethering service - for internet on laptop whenever a cell phone service is available, coffee warmer, light fleece blanket, travel pillow & gloves in case I feel too cold.

Will be wearing a pair of jeans, a cotton shirt and a jacket.

I had a few questions:

1. Just how cold can the train get? I'm not that used to cold (seeing as I'm from India and have stayed in sunny SoCal all this while), and the route shows most location are well below sub-zero temperatures © which Ive never before experienced. If I wish to get off at stations to do some scouting/photography nearby, will it be too cold to stand in the outfit I'll be wearing? I'm also planning to roam a bit in Chicago before my connection.

2. How do I ensure I get near a power outlet? I'll bring a power strip so I can share the outlet with nearby people :)

3. Any tips on adjusting to sleep in coach? Hopefully a couple of nearby seats go empty so I can spread out. I might upgrade to sleeper if I can afford it and there's spaces. Alternatively Can I camp in the lounge observation car overnight? I'm planning to spend most of my time there anyways.

4. I'll have just a single carry-on baggage which I'll leave in the luggage rack or near my seat when I roam around. I'll also probably leave my laptop or other stuff on the tray when I visit the cafe/restroom etc. How safe is the coach car when it comes to these things? Are there any other safety issues?

5. Any specific sights I HAVE to see? I know about Raton pass, Albuquerque Indian stores, and I'm planning to rush to the Sears tower in Chicago during my 3 hour stop before rushing back to make my connection.

Maybe I'm asking too many questions - sorry about that :) Thanks in advance for the help!

Best Regards,

Arvind

This is a great trip for a first timer. Seeing as it is winter, I think you will have no problem getting to the Sears tower in Chicago. The Southwest Chief will definitely afford you two seats, but I cannot speak for the Capitol Limited, as I have never ridden it before. Raton Pass itself will be at dusk, so I actually suspect that you may miss some of the best parts of it, since we are so close to the winter solstice right now. I do think a sweatshirt is necessary, not for the train, but for Pittsburgh and Chicago, maybe even more than that). If you have comfortable pajama pants, do not be afraid to wear them at any time during the trip (I'm serious, it's not a big deal, and they are probably much more comfy). I do think that a roomette upgrade at least for the Southwest Chief would be very nice to have, since you do not only get the comfort of a 90 degree bed, but you get all meals included in the price. It may not be worth it at this point though, because the fares would probably be high bucket. I like the power strip idea, and because you are boarding at LA, you can have a window seat. I've taken the SwC a few times out of LA, and it has always been on Platform 6 (tracks 11 &12), so if you want to get up top before the Kindergarten Walk people arrive, that's a good place to go to. Overall, enjoy your trip!!!!!

Johnny (fellow SoCal member
smile.gif
)

I'm Arvind, and I'm from Southern California. I moved to the USA last year.
Welcome!

1. Just how cold can the train get? I'm not that used to cold (seeing as I'm from India and have stayed in sunny SoCal all this while), and the route shows most location are well below sub-zero temperatures © which Ive never before experienced. If I wish to get off at stations to do some scouting/photography nearby, will it be too cold to stand in the outfit I'll be wearing? I'm also planning to roam a bit in Chicago before my connection.
It can get a little chilly, especially near the windows. A sweatshirt and blanket should suffice, but you'll want a winter coat for hanging around outside. Chicago is cold and windy this time of year, so you might want a hat and scarf too. If you're sensitive to cold, your ears and nose will really feel it. Chicago is going to be in the mid-thirties when you arrive.

2. How do I ensure I get near a power outlet? I'll bring a power strip so I can share the outlet with nearby people :)
Most of the Superliners have been upgraded and have two outlets at every row of seats (one for each passenger). I've been on the SWC six times, and I've always had an outlet. My boyfriend has taken it four times, and he always had an outlet. So, there's a good chance you'll have power.

3. Any tips on adjusting to sleep in coach? Hopefully a couple of nearby seats go empty so I can spread out. I might upgrade to sleeper if I can afford it and there's spaces. Alternatively Can I camp in the lounge observation car overnight? I'm planning to spend most of my time there anyways.
You can camp in the lounge car. Most people start waking up and heading to breakfast around 6:00 or so, so you might end up having to relocate to your seat around daybreak. You can also try to score a seat near the front of the car (room on the floor to spread out). If you have a window seat, you can usually do okay by leaning against the window. This is a grey area for me as well since I hate sleeping on my back. I usually end up cat-napping most of the trip and just crash out for a ten-hour sleeping marathon when I reach my destination. ;)

4. I'll have just a single carry-on baggage which I'll leave in the luggage rack or near my seat when I roam around. I'll also probably leave my laptop or other stuff on the tray when I visit the cafe/restroom etc. How safe is the coach car when it comes to these things? Are there any other safety issues?
I've never had any issues. People are aware of where everyone is sitting, and they subconsciously keep their eye on things. I would definitely notice if someone was messing with stuff that wasn't theirs. I always take my purse with me, though.

I'm excited to hear about your experience! Be sure to post a trip journal once you arrive. :)

(Edit: grammar fail)

Last edited by a moderator:
Arvind,

I would not leave a laptop unattended on the tray table for two reasons. One, a good bounce could land it on the floor, potentially rendering it useless for future use. Second, while people tend to sort of look out for one another, valuable things do still occasionally grow legs while on the train. If you do decide to leave the laptop behind, either place it in your seat or on the floor and be sure to secure it to the foot rest with a cable lock. Or put it in its case and out of sight.

I for one don't like your idea of "camping out" in the lounge car. Think about your fellow travelers they would like to use the lounge or sightseeing car. I am sure some would like to go and sit and watch the world go by also, even at night. Sorry if you don't like your seat in coach, but the lounge should be for everybody on a temporary basis. I like going and spending some time in the lounge, it allows me to meet other travelers. I would be bothered by someone "camping out" there.

I for one don't like your idea of "camping out" in the lounge car. Think about your fellow travelers they would like to use the lounge or sightseeing car. I am sure some would like to go and sit and watch the world go by also, even at night. Sorry if you don't like your seat in coach, but the lounge should be for everybody on a temporary basis. I like going and spending some time in the lounge, it allows me to meet other travelers. I would be bothered by someone "camping out" there.
I "Camp Out" there on every trip I take, and only return to my room if I notice that people are coming into the lounge car, looking for seats, and can't find any. Table or seats, doesn't matter to me. Sure wish they'd dim the overhead lights at night, but, alas,................

I just introduced myself to the forum :)

I'm Arvind, and I'm from Southern California. I moved to the USA last year - I'm graduating this month and visiting my folks in Pittsburgh. I'm taking the Southwest Chief on the 10th of this month, and then the Capitol Limited to Pittsburgh on the 12th. I was a train buff back in India and I'm really excited about the trip here :) I'm on a student budget, so I'm going coach on this trip! Hopefully I'll see some great snowscapes and vistas.
Like I mentioned in the introductions forum, I am in a similar condition like yours- just graduated student, loves trains but don't have money for overpriced sleepers, I have done three long distance Amtrak trips in the last three months, let's see if I can help you with your doubts.

Power strip for connecting appliances, Extra phone batteries, Extra camera battery, Tethering service - for internet on laptop whenever a cell phone service is available, coffee warmer, light fleece blanket, travel pillow & gloves in case I feel too cold.
I don't know if you have already considered this in, bring along some snacks and drinks, at least a bottle of water. There is a Cafe on the train which serves snacks, soda, coffee etc but I don't think you'd want to eat just that on the entire journey. Also, it is a little pricey but you should try having one or two meals in the Dining Car. It's a nice experience having lunch with co-passengers looking out of the window, especially on the Chief passing through the wild west landscape. I do not know your eating restrictions but since most folks of Indian origin (myself included) are either vegetarian or meat-eaters who avoid beef and pork, it limits the menu in the Dining Car down to one or two items, but do give it a shot!

Since you have never experienced below freezing temperatures, Chicago this time of the year will feel very cold. Be mentally prepared. Also, most smoke-breaks where you are allowed to alight from the train to stroll or take photos will be at small stations with no enclosed platforms so you will be out exposed to the elements. Prepare accordingly.

These days most Superliner coaches have power outlets for every seat, but in case your seat partner has already hogged both power outlets, you can walk down to the Sightseer Lounge Car which has power outlets too.

I'll tell you from my personal experience- sleeping on a single Coach seat is do-able but its nice to get a vacant seat next to you to spread out. On the SW Chief I did see some people camping out in the Sightseer Lounge Car overnight, sleeping on the floor, you can try that if you are not shy to do it. Else just grab an empty pair of seats and you will be fine.

A word of caution: when I traveled last month, the entire onboard staff across three Coach class cars on SW Chief was being a pain in the a$ to single passengers. In spite of half the train being empty all the way from LA to Albuquerque, they insisted that I sit on my assigned seat and not occupy any of the empty pairs of seats because they are for (non-existent) "passengers boarding enroute". The idea is to simply ignore them. Don't try being nice and asking, just see an empty pair of seats and make yourself comfortable. If a staff comes to wake you up and asks to move, simply move to another pair of seats or another car. Sometimes you have to be as un-cooperative with Amtrak staff as they be with you.

If you just have a carry-on you can take it upstairs and put it in the overhead bin. Those bins are big enough. I'd not recommend leaving laptop, camera etc at your seat unattended. During two of my trips, my phone chargers have developed feet and disappeared while I left them plugged into the socket and went around (with the phone with me).

Have fun and do let us know your experience!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Arvind,

Welcome to the forum! Sorcha did a great job answering your questions, I would just like to add a couple of things. Bring eye mask and ear plugs to help get better sleep. Sometimes you get stuck near one of the lights that has to stay on all night and the eye mask can be very helpful. Earplugs also help, especially if you are near the doors that make noise everytime someone comes and goes, even during the night. You will definitely need a coat (not a sweatshirt) and gloves/hat if you are going out in Chicago and some of the station stops along the way as well as your destination of Pittsburgh. This is one of my pet peeves, but please do not wear pajamas in the public areas of the train. Jeans and sweatpants are comfortable enough that it is not necessary to wear your pjs in public areas. I would say you could probably leave your laptop at your seat, but only if you put it away. I definitely would not leave it sitting out in plain sight.

Have a great trip and enjoy visiting with your family.

Arvind,

I would not leave a laptop unattended on the tray table for two reasons. One, a good bounce could land it on the floor, potentially rendering it useless for future use. Second, while people tend to sort of look out for one another, valuable things do still occasionally grow legs while on the train. If you do decide to leave the laptop behind, either place it in your seat or on the floor and be sure to secure it to the foot rest with a cable lock. Or put it in its case and out of sight.
Oops, good catch. I missed the bit about the tray table.

Arvind, when I travel alone, I always put my laptop on the floor and then cover it with my coat or blanket so it's "out of sight". I keep my carry-on in the luggage rack above my seat. Anything I'm going to want for the immediate trip goes in my backpack, which I put near my feet.

Another tip: if you go to the restroom at the end of the hall, it's actually a large changing room with attached restroom. It's a great area for washing up and changing clothes after a night on the train.

Oh, and if you see signs for "Willis Tower", don't let them confuse you. They renamed the Sears Tower when Willis bought it about a year ago. :angry2:

Everyone still calls it the Sears Tower, but they changed all of the signage and notations on maps and such.

I hope you have time to wander around Union Station after your trip to the Sears Tower. The Great Hall is gorgeous.

Oh, and if you see signs for "Willis Tower", don't let them confuse you. They renamed the Sears Tower when Willis bought it about a year ago. :angry2:

Everyone still calls it the Sears Tower, but they changed all of the signage and notations on maps and such.

I hope you have time to wander around Union Station after your trip to the Sears Tower. The Great Hall is gorgeous.
It's only been a year since it became "Big Willie"? Now I don't feel so bad about referring to it as Sears Tower. I noticed on my charge card that the gift shop on the 103rd floor is still called Sears Tower Gift Shop or something like that. I was just there on the 20th.

Sure wish they'd dim the overhead lights at night, but, alas,................
Is there any specific reason why they don't? VIA didn't have any problem dimming the lights. Is there simply no switch that operates them?
I wonder about this too. I was on a bus trip for work recently, and they shut off all of the lights and then had these very dim lights along the aisle so you could still see well enough to navigate. They were a dim green and red, very non-obtrusive, and their position meant we could sleep in darkness equivalent to most bedrooms. It was quite comfortable.

Congratulations upon your upcoming inaugural trip! I wish I was taking my very first trip again..it sure brings back great memories (aside from the fact that I chose what I thought was an "Am-bus" as my first leg..it was basically a Greyhound that took me from Tulsa to Kansas City Union Station on an all night trip..after that, the train part was excellent)!

How tall are you? There is great leg room even in coach (way more than on airplanes), although as a tall guy myself, sleeping in coach sometimes isn't that comfy, as my legs have no place to go, at times. A roomette, now and then, might help you out quite a bit in the comfort area.

Also, as has been suggested, bottled water is a big help! The bottled water provided onboard (complimentary for folks in a sleeper) is in smaller bottles, but every little bit helps.

You might want to bring a flashlight, if that hasn't been mentioned yet. A train car can get pretty dark when the power goes out, so a small light will help.

Have fun and a safe journey! :)

It's only been a year since it became "Big Willie"? Now I don't feel so bad about referring to it as Sears Tower. I noticed on my charge card that the gift shop on the 103rd floor is still called Sears Tower Gift Shop or something like that. I was just there on the 20th.
Oops. I was wrong. According to Wiki, it was renamed on July 16, 2009. :blush:

About Sears/Willis tower...I think it's something like this: The building itself is called the "Willis Tower" now, but the company that runs the tours of the top floors (which isn't the same as the owners of the building) still refers to it as the "Sears Tower Skydeck" or something. Since basically everybody calls it that still anyway, they didn't change the name of the tour.

Hello again Everyone!

Sorry for the late response - I had my finals and I boarded the train the next day. We just passed Flagstaff as I'm typing this email. I went down to click a couple of pictures, and nearly froze myself to death in the process. Close to -14C :D

Thank you so much for the help - Sorcha, AlanB, johnny.menhennet, Texan Eagle, j64 and the everyone else - I've had a great trip so far having followed your advice.

The cabin lights were totally dimmed and comfortable. Power outlets were present at every couple of seats, but didn't work at first - the conductor said that would happen so I came to the lounge. When I returned to my seat at 12am an elderly gentleman was asleep in the seat next to mine - I didn't want to wake him up so I'm settled here in the lounge car, which has been really empty all trip long, and spread myself out over a few seats to get some shuteye.

I've taken pictures of almost all stations that have passed so far except Kingman, AZ. I was surprised to see snow shortly after Needles, CA - Flagstaff, as I mentioned was really cold!

I'll keep you guys posted, and maybe update you with some pics as I go along!

I'm glad you're having such a great time on your trip!!! If you ever need any other advice about rail anywhere in Southern California, I live in Solana Beach and take the Pacific Surfliner very frequently, so I can totally help. I'm glad you found this helpful, but sorry you had to sleep in the lounge!!! I believe Flagstaff is cold; it is the 3rd (or somewhere around there) snowiest city in the entire country, and it is at 7,000 ft. Brrrrr....
excl.gif

I'm glad you're having fun so far. ^_^ I can't wait to see your pictures and read about your adventures in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back