some clarification, please...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all makes sense. Your spending the money anyway, so with a bit of planning you can strech the dollar quite a bit it seems. Looking at the "on-line" mall along with all the other retail partners, I've realized IF I had known.....My first trip on Amtrak, Nov '14, I went round trip to Dallas and back. I spent two weeks in East Texas Panhandle visiting relations. Had a rental car from Enterprise all 2 weeks, had I known.............and with what I buy at Home Depot to keep up this house.....and so on. I'll definatly be studying this for the rest of the day and getting familiar with it all. Once again, Much THANKS to all for sharing all your knowledge and experience.

Does the purchase at Wallmart or Home Depot have to be on the new B of A Credit Card? How does Walmart or Home Depot know about your Amtrak Rewards Account? Do you input your Amtrak Rewards Account # when you order online at Walmart or Home Depot?
You have to do all your shopping through the AGR website - through the so-called "shopping portal' link on that website. That's how the vendor knows your AGR # etc. Doing that will get you the points/dollar that the vendor offers - eventually. If you make the purchase with the appropriate AGR cc you will also get 1 point/dollar separately from the cc company.

Recently I discovered that if you accept any "special" offers from the vendor and enter any kind of promotion code, that disqualifies the AGR shopping portal points and you lose them completely! :blink:
To make it clear for OP, let me elaborate on your comment. "You have to do all your shopping through the AGR website" makes it sound like you can't get any points if you don't do all your shopping there. The only way to get points is when you use their link. Going direct or through any other portal means you don't get points for that transaction.

For everyone, let's say you are searching and find what you want at a store then go to the portal. You are not likely to get your points because of previous cookies. For example, I use dealnews.com to find deals. If I find a deal at walmart.com and check the deal on Wally's site, cookies are placed by both wally and dealnews. I then clear all those cookies in my browser (or use a different browser) then go to Amtrak's portal, go to wally's site from there then order my item.

That's good to know. Does the purchase at Wallmart or Home Depot have to be on the new B of A Credit Card? How does Walmart or Home Depot know about your Amtrak Rewards Account? Do you input your Amtrak Rewards Account # when you order online at Walmart or Home Depot? Maybe simpler to ask, "How does that work?" Sincerly, would be most grateful for any reply and explanation. I've been all day reading this stuff, Amtrak Guest Rewards "fine print", etc. and my brain is beginning to complain, :wacko: HA!! However, I did find the spot for referring a new Guest Rewards member, and yes, it certainly is "hidden".
You do NOT need an AGR credit card to use the AGR shopping portal. You can use any payment method accepted by the retailer. You will still get the shopping points, you'll just not earn the credit card points. If you do use the AGR credit card, you will get the shopping points PLUS the 1 point/$ earned by use of the AGR credit card. Going through the "shopping portal "will (should)" get your AGR info to the retailer.

That's VERY IMPORTANT INFO to know, about clearing "cookies", etc. THANK YOU

Further clarification, if anyone knows for certain....I understand most of the previous post Frensicpic wrote... BUT...... if I buy an item thru the Amtrak Guest Rewards Mall "program", (or whatever it's called), and use a credit card OTHER THAN the "Amtrak" B of A rewards card, MY credit card, be it Citibank, Chase or....I'll still get whathatever points THAT credit card offers on purchases, ... correct or no???

Hello all and again Thank You to all who have contributed info to this series of postings. I, for one, am very grateful to all. I just completed my first purchase through the Amtrak Guest Rewards "Mall", booking a hotel in Seattle. Used my normal credit card. In all, I think I got 7000 points for the transaction, 4,000 for the hotel & 3000 bonus for signing up with Rocket-something ..don't know for certain until it all done appears on the Guest Rewards account.

....................."It ain't over 'till it's over." (Yogi B,, rest in peace, brave man)

Latest posts

Back