solo/Is it Safe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been retired for 5 years now and often take solo Amtrak trips. In fact, I've been all over the country, sometimes solo and sometimes with a friend or grandchild. As others have said, keep valuables with you. Although I've never heard of anyone having a problem, it's just a good idea. One other thing, don't get hung up on watching the clock. Trains sometimes run late, but in the rare chance that you miss a connection, Amtrak will take care of you there as well.

Have a wonderful time.

Good advice above - I really can't add much. I will be doing a long solo drive around the continent, so i will have solitude!

While we've not done a solo trip in many years, you would be perfectly safe. As others have said, where would a molester/thief/bad guy go. The conductor/asst conductor and service attendant are always giong back and forth in coach.

As for sleeper, that's even safer. You have a door to close and LOCK if you prefer. On several trips over the past few years, we've left laptop and cameras in the overhead in coach; and in our bedroom in sleeper. It's probably not advisable to leave anything in sight when you leave the room, but you can close the curtain.

And sleeper is even more safe, the attendants have fewer passengers, and usually know you by first name within an hour after you are onboard.

Go for it!! :)

Even though I am far from retirement and am a single male -- I do travel solo on most of my Amtrak trips... and never had any serious issues. The main reason for solo travel is that most of my friends are all about "getting there quick" and dont appreciate the fun or excitment of Amtrak travel. Really, I can only think of one friend of mine (who I met through AUF 4 years ago) who would actually want to accompany me on a cross country loop-de-loop for a week straight on Amtrak. Most of my 4 weeks of vacation every year are just taking a train trip somewhere. I have been to most of the major US cities -- so I am enjoying the journey there and the time of the train more than the time actually off the train.

Anyway, I think you will have a good time. :) You will almost always be safe on the train itself -- just watch yourself at some stations safety-wise. I never had any problems except for people begging for food or money in Chicago, LAX, New Orleans, and NYP.

One other tip -- if you dont want to be social all the time -- think about getting a sleeper. While most of the time I like talking to people and spend most of my time in the lounge car -- it's nice to have your privacy if you get sick of talking to people -- that way you have your own little "home" to go back to when you want to be alone. If you are in a packed coach, you might have that option just to get away from everyone else.
I really like travelling solo. I have done LD alone by coach, but far prefer getting a roomette. I'm not super social, so I really like the solitude of a roomette..like a cocoon. I also like having my meals in my room..I just don't do well talking with strangers at my mealtimes. I feel safe ON the train..it's in the depots that can be iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back