Solari Board Soon Out of Service in Providence, RI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NTL1991

Train Attendant
Just a heads up to Solari Board fans in New England.

After months of delays (this was supposed to happen in July), the new digital PIDS system in Providence, RI will be live within the next few days. Final installation of computer terminals and audio connections are currently being made today and tomorrow. The platform displays (on both platforms) are installed and connected, as are the 8 station displays.

For those who like technical information:

The Solari board and it's old computer system and converter boxes will remain installed until some time after the new system has proved itself. Not sure how long that will be, but as of yesterday, they are already removing the old overhead platform signs which were only installed on the Tracks 1 & 2 platform. These award-winning signs were installed during the Acela re-branding, and AFAIK, Wilmington, DE still uses these attractive displays, but they are being replaced with generic silver Daktronics signs, due to ADA requirements that specifies that all audible announcements must also be displayed for those who are hearing impaired.

The Solari track indicators over the stairways down to the platforms have been removed for some time to install the new digital signs. No word has been made if the original Solari departure board, circa 1985 will remain installed in a "blanked, out of service" state, or if it will be removed for parts.

The current software for the Solari is DOS-based, and was written almost 20 years ago. Many stops have been added since the Solari was installed -- T.F. Green Airport & Wickford Junction for the MBTA Purple Line Service and Lynchburg, VA for Amtrak's Northeast Regional Service. These are displayed as a blank flap on the Solari board, causing quite a bit of confusion daily.

Also, the board is very limited when showing delay status. Delay times are printed on the flaps in 5 to 15 minute increments, with a maximum of 3 hours late. Delayed and and Canceled are also printed. Rough estimates need to be made without over compensating. For example, if a train is 38 minutes late, it needs to be posted as 30 minutes late, an 8 minute difference. If 40 minutes is posted, and someone walks out of the concourse, and comes back at exactly 40 minutes after, they would have missed the train.

The new system will show the departure or arrival time as "Now 7:35p", for example, for a 5 minute delay on a 7:30p scheduled departure.

Instead of previously-recorded announcements for each train, the new system will use Text to Speech technology to generate speech for the boarding , security and paging announcements, eliminating the need to modify existing per-recorded announcements or have them professionally re-recorded.

One interesting thing: the original Solari Udine computer--actually more of a mainframe that's about 28"x 36"x7'-- is still in the station in storage. Not sure what's going to happen to it. It's an attractive unit that would look good in a museum. Anyway, the schedule information was loaded into the mainframe with 5-1/4" floppies generated from a terminal. The machine would be powered up and would need to actually "warm up" before it was functional. This was replaced by a standard IBM-compatible PC and a Current Loop converter box, taking up a fraction of the space as the original, and allowing for a second backup PC to be installed for redundancy.

A few binders worth of schematics are still at the station, detailing the inner workings of the Mainframe, and the circuits to the track indicators and departure board... All in Italian!

Attached are some pics for those interested.

IMG_6278.JPG

IMG_6279.JPG

IMG_6280.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

IMG_6282.JPG

IMG_6283.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Today it looked like the board was there it covered up.
Yeah, in true Amtrak fashion, it's covered up with a tarpaulin and an Amtrak logo banner. I was expecting them to use black plastic trash bags, personally, so I guess it's a step up from what I was expecting... I wasn't there the day they covered it, otherwise they would've known that a few keyboard commands could've "blanked" the entire board, leaving it cleanly showcased as a piece of history until it's removed...

Today it looked like the board was there it covered up.
Yeah, in true Amtrak fashion, it's covered up with a tarpaulin and an Amtrak logo banner. I was expecting them to use black plastic trash bags, personally, so I guess it's a step up from what I was expecting... I wasn't there the day they covered it, otherwise they would've known that a few keyboard commands could've "blanked" the entire board, leaving it cleanly showcased as a piece of history until it's removed...

I figured they would use the duct tape, so you're all a step ahead of me. ^_^

The freight railroads appear to use large garbage bags to cover the heads of those new Darth Vader signals until they are placed in service. So Tarpaulin is good. :)
Darth Vader signals? Who's using them? Anybody got a picture?

jb
CSX

bp162.jpg

5794.1331174394.jpg

6737642335_744ab966c5.jpg

So the current word on the street is that the Solari board will be removed once the new system is thoroughly tested and sent to Philadelphia.

Plans for the new system in Philly are in the works, including a very large, impressive "video wall."

We'll see...

I didn't even know that there was any brand name for this type of display. Is like using "Kleenex" to describe facial tissue, even though there are numerous manufacturers? I always called them "split-flap". My family used to have a JC Penney branded radio alarm clock with such a display, although it never really cycled through unless one was adjusting the time. I looked it up, and our clock probably had a Japanese-made mechanism.

I didn't even know that there was any brand name for this type of display. Is like using "Kleenex" to describe facial tissue, even though there are numerous manufacturers?
It's more like using "Jell-O" to describe flavored gelatin dessert -- yes, there are others, but Solari is the ne plus ultra of manufacturers of this type of display system.

A better example is Xerox to make a photo copy. Originally, Xerox was a brand name of the photo copy machine made be 3M. Today, many people ask you to "... Xerox this document ..." - no matter who manufactures the machine you use.

Another is Scotch Tape for any type of adhesive tape. (Scotch Tape is a specific brand.)

A better example is Xerox to make a photo copy. Originally, Xerox was a brand name of the photo copy machine made be 3M. Today, many people ask you to "... Xerox this document ..." - no matter who manufactures the machine you use.

Another is Scotch Tape for any type of adhesive tape. (Scotch Tape is a specific brand.)
I don't know of anyone who says Xerox as a generic term these days. I guess it comes from working with millennials along with people who didn't grow up in the US. Xerox is still in business, but hardly ubquitious like Kleenex still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back