SoCal Steam Trip Alert

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On May 3, 2009 there will be a reprise of last June's 3751 steam excursion.
San Diego Steam Special

Act FAST!! Tickets went quickly last year.

Even if you're not interested, or can't make it, check out the link. Nice video of the photo run-by at Carlsbad Poinsettia.

My Trip Report on last year's excursion:

Today's Special: Steamed Amtrak

Whooz there was an excurison maybe in the 90's with Daylight loco and equipment. I think it went from San francisco or maybe Los Angeles to New Orleans.

Do you know what I am talking about? Did you take it?

I think we have had this conversation but I am rusty on the details.

Meanwhile I enjoyed the video you provided. I took a few steam excursions in my day also. I especially liked the J class Norfolk & Western steamlined steam.

On May 3, 2009 there will be a reprise of last June's 3751 steam excursion.
San Diego Steam Special

Act FAST!! Tickets went quickly last year.

Even if you're not interested, or can't make it, check out the link. Nice video of the photo run-by at Carlsbad Poinsettia.

My Trip Report on last year's excursion:

Today's Special: Steamed Amtrak

Whooz there was an excurison maybe in the 90's with Daylight loco and equipment. I think it went from San francisco or maybe Los Angeles to New Orleans.

Do you know what I am talking about? Did you take it?

I think we have had this conversation but I am rusty on the details.

Meanwhile I enjoyed the video you provided. I took a few steam excursions in my day also. I especially liked the J class Norfolk & Western steamlined steam.
Bill - I rode behind the N&W 611 on one of her last runs. Video I took is HERE.

Cool video, Tom, and that train was l-o-n-g! I counted 19 cars, with more behind, before the scene shifted.

Yeah Bill, we talked about SP 4449 and the Daylight consist when we greeted for the Gathering at LAUS before we rode Metrolink on Friday. As I recall, you noted my killer black gabardine dress shirt with the Daylight logo (from Daylight Sales) and said something like "Not many your age know about the Daylight."

Never had the pleasure of riding behind 4449, but have seen it in person a couple times: Once at speed northbound on the sweeping curve out of Camarillo (probably headed home to Portland), and once standing, then a southbound start, at Van Nuys. Hanging out right next to the locomotive when the whistle sounded to get underway. Taken by surprise, I musta jumped about a foot in the air. That thing was LOUD!!

A 4449/Daylight video (many out there):

4449 Southern Pacific Daylight

For good measure, a video of last June's 3751 excursion (again, many out there), working up Miramar Grade southbound to San Diego:

Of course you can't see me, but I was in the car directly in front of the dome, on the camera (inland) side. At SAN only the locomotives were turned, which put me in the same car (seats were assigned once people were in them after boarding at LAX) on the ride back, and this time it was the second car - after the dome - behind the locomotive and tender. MASSIVE difference, and a way cooler ride close to the engine, though for photography purposes it was good to be near the end on the southbound leg. Got a great shot of 3751 rounding the first curve seen in the video.

Note the absence of smoke in the 3751 video - working up a grade I believe is over 2% - compared to the 4449 clip (some steam involved there, but mostly smoke). Had8ley would tell you that only 3751 is being run correctly.

Thanks, Tom and Patrick, for the neat memories and videos.

I am not quite old enough to have genuinely experienced commercial steam operations and really remember them.

I have a few slight memories, not much. There was a branch line freight track near the home where I grew up. Those trains were steam when we first moved to that neighborhood, about 1951, but not for long.

So, most of my steam contact has been various excursions. I never really got bitten by the "steam locomotive bug" as some have. But I do enjoy them. Steam engines were a lot noisier than diesel and for that reason perceived (incorrectly) as being more powerful, etc by guys who deeply regreted the decline of steam.

Part of the fun of a steam engine ride is to be in an open air coach and have all that soot blown in your face and hair. Sometimes you have to wash your hair about three times after a day of it. Think back to when trains were not air conditioned and were powered by steam. And to today some wonder how they will stay get clean enough while riding long distance in coach, or if the shower in the sleeper not being perfect in every way!!

Of course there is this: when we ride under those conditions today (steam engine excursion choosing an open window car) we do so by choice. In the past there was no choice.

Received an e-mail giving some info on this year's excursion consist:

The Central Coast Railway Club is pleased to announce another exciting

steam excursion!

On May 3, 2009, the historic ex-Santa Fe 4-8-4 3751 will make another

fast trip from Los Angeles to San Diego and return.

This trip will feature an open-door baggage car and multiple dome cars

for outstanding views of the Pacific Ocean.

For information, please visit: [see link above]

FAST trip? Maybe this year. In '08 returned to L.A. about 4 hours later than expected, after 11 p.m. Nobody really complained, but some around me were not looking forward to driving most of the night to get home, then going to work the next day. I had hedged by booking a room at L.A. for after the trip; worked out well.

Back