So I need some advice/have question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mercedeslove

Lead Service Attendant
Ok in April I had surgery to have the lymph nodes and cancerous tissues removed from my left groin and while I am not considered disabled, I have issues walkin. I have a limp which is sometimes more noticeable than other times. Now I was wondering for those who have dealt with leg injuries and or limping how difficult will it be for me to walk from car to car and what not. Once I am done with my radiation treatments and chemo, and know I am a bit better I plan on taking a much needed Amtrak trip from Lakeland to LA or somewhere west. Would I be able to do this, and since I am not labeled disabled and I just walk weird would I be able to get help if needed?

I don't want to book a trip if in the end its going to ne hard for me. The limp will more than likely be a lifetime thing for me.

I'd think the worst part would be climbing stairs in a superliner or climbing up into single level equipment from a low level platform. Having torn my knee a couple times and being on crutches I found going up or down stairs to be the most difficult thing to do on a train or otherwise. Other than that the biggest issue would be supporting yourself while walking through the train. You'll probably be fine using the seat backs for support but might want to investigate the possibility of using a combination of a cane or crutch and the seat backs to maneuver.

As for the second part who cares if you're labeled disabled or not. If you have trouble walking I would be pretty sure you'd get any help you needed to get around. Meaning you should get the needed assistance otherwise you'd have a story for the bad Amtrak employees thread.

I am not what you would consider disabled, but I do have a balance coordination problem. (You may ask how I travel on a train? I actually walk better on a train, and if I fall - I can blame it on the train's movement!
laugh.gif
)

Honestly, I agree the hardest part will be climbing the stairs. Otherwise use the seatbacks for support, and maybe a crutch or cane. And you could request meals to be served in your room!
wink.gif

I also try to time my movements thru the train while the train is stopped.
wink.gif

Ok in April I had surgery to have the lymph nodes and cancerous tissues removed from my left groin and while I am not considered disabled, I have issues walking. I have a limp which is sometimes more noticeable than other times. Now I was wondering for those who have dealt with leg injuries and or limping how difficult will it be for me to walk from car to car and what not. Once I am done with my radiation treatments and chemo, and know I am a bit better I plan on taking a much needed Amtrak trip from Lakeland to LA or somewhere west. Would I be able to do this, and since I am not labeled disabled and I just walk weird would I be able to get help if needed?

I don't want to book a trip if in the end its going to be hard for me. The limp will more than likely be a lifetime thing for me.
Gee, I hope you get better real soon & have a full recovery.

Technically, you may be considered disabled.

I have some walking issues & I can say the stairs would be the challenge, but once you get upstairs, then you could choose if you want to walk around.

Maybe you should try a short run to see how you do, rather than a long trip to find out how it will be. I'm sure you will be able to get help, but if you are unstable, you may want to move from car to car between stops.

You could also book a downstairs roomette & have your meals delivered.

If you choose to stay in coach, I have heard that the attendants will help you if you need/ask for it.

Yeah the stairs are one thing I am worried about. I've ridden a Superliner a few times and know how narrow they are. before all this I could just bounce down them, but this is has seriously slowed me down a bit. I'll be fine, but if I step the wrong way the lack of muscle in my groin area creates a lot of pain. I've also seem to have knee problems since the surgery.

I know about the meals in my room deal, but I love eating in the dining car simply because you can meet so many different people. It's so much fun.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully when I plan this trip I will be in better health.

and thanks for the Get Well wishes Sun =)

:hi: Best wishes from a cancer survivor, good points about possibly having your Dr. declare you disabled and using a cane for support! It worked for me (and also my late wife who didnt survive her breast cancer fight but fought the good fight for 5 years!)They will let you board early, and people generally are kind on trains when it comes to letting others climb stairs etc. (the exceptions would be smokers having a nicotine fit, watch out @ smoke stops!)As was said they can bring your meals to your room, you already know about the downstairs roomettes and H room, the point about a few test runs before the LD trip is an excellent idea! Glad you still have dreams and plans, that's part of being happy! ;)

Ok in April I had surgery to have the lymph nodes and cancerous tissues removed from my left groin and while I am not considered disabled, I have issues walkin. I have a limp which is sometimes more noticeable than other times. Now I was wondering for those who have dealt with leg injuries and or limping how difficult will it be for me to walk from car to car and what not. Once I am done with my radiation treatments and chemo, and know I am a bit better I plan on taking a much needed Amtrak trip from Lakeland to LA or somewhere west. Would I be able to do this, and since I am not labeled disabled and I just walk weird would I be able to get help if needed?

I don't want to book a trip if in the end its going to ne hard for me. The limp will more than likely be a lifetime thing for me.
If it's not prying, may I ask if you have non-Hodgkin Lymphoma? I'm a survivor, I came down with it in 2007. The kind I had did not require radiation or surgery, only chemo. In any case I hope everything turned out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back