So far, So good

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter L. Reid

Train Attendant
Arrive in LA at 7.00am after 14 hours, booked into my hotel, freshened up and then walked down to LA Union Station for National Train Day.

What a great idea, we could do with in Australia. 1000's of people, milling around gathering lots of different information on train trips available, scenic tours, rail safety, Chuggington, Amtrak Vacations and a miriad of other exhibits. What was really good was to see the number of children

getting involved. My younger grandchildren would have loved it. I purchased, and procurred so much stuff, in the way of pamphlets, T-shirts etc

I had to send a parcel back home as I couldn't fit them into my pack.

The Coast Starlight is a train journey well worth the effort. The attendant in our car,Toni, was terrific. She couldn't do enough to help every

passenger, and never lost her smile the whole trip. I spent most of the daylight hours in the parlour car, viewing the changing landscape

and trying, at times in vain, to use the WiFi, which for obvious reasons was patchy in the "hills". The meals in the parlour car were good,

although there was less selection and they weren't as big as the meals in the dining car. This is ok though, if sitting for prolonged

periods tempers one's appetite, as it does mine.

Some of the scenery through the Cascades, with the high snow covered mountains, and deep, large lakes is magic. More of the same on

the "Empire Builder" I'm told, which I catch tonight.

At one stage in California, we had a couple of private cars attached to the train. A dome car and I think a dining car, all silver, with possibly

California Zephyr (maybe Silver Zephyr) on the side. I'm not sure because I thought one thing and then doubted myself, a common habit of

mine.

Thanks for sharing with us. I live a long ways from any Amtrak station and so did not spend National Train Day anywhere but home. But I did read a lot of folks' travelogues and planned several trips for the future.

Peter,

If you'll be in a sleeper out of Portland this afternoon, it will be the last car on the train. Go to the very back & enjoy the scenery out of what is known as the "Rail Fan Window". Great Photo Ops thru the Columbia River Gorge!!!!!!

At one stage in California, we had a couple of private cars attached to the train. A dome car and I think a dining car, all silver, with possiblyCalifornia Zephyr (maybe Silver Zephyr) on the side. I'm not sure because I thought one thing and then doubted myself, a common habit of

mine.
I believe those cars are private vintage zephyr cars. There are at least three 'Silvers.' The Silver Solarium being my favorite. It's a domed observation car--it has a rounded back end and always traveled at the end of the train. Outstanding interior refurb too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back