Snow Forecast in West Glacier Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on the EB 8, just left MSP on Monday morning. I boarded 8 in West Glacier on Sunday morning. Snow flurries were expected yesterday at the higher elevationss. I did a Red Bus Tour on Saturday and the weather was great, however, it had snowed last week and some snow remained at the peaks.

Every hiker that I talked to encounted snow or sleet in the past week.

I had not heard if they were predicting snow at the lower elevations (train tracks), but there is certainly snow at the higher elevations now.

i lived in browning,mt.(the seasonal station stop just east of glacier park)for 6 months one year and hiked in the park every chance i got. we got snowed on on memorial day, 4th of july and labor day that year on our hikes. the main problem was wind however. i was told that the giant fences along the tracks on the big, exposed curve into browning were to keep the wind from blowing the train off the tracks.

By the looks of things here in the west, winter will be early. One of our maple trees is already losing its leaves big-time. I'll be on 28/8 starting the 13th so I'll see what it's like then.

I think the fences are to keep snow from drifting across the tracks but "blowing the train off of the tracks" sounds better.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back