Snoring on a Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
This question is mainly for women whose traveling companions snore. My ex-husband snores significantly. He has just informed me that he would like to join me on my 2 week cross country trip and would help pay for it. It has been a very long time since I have shared a sleeper with him and I do not remember how badly his snoring bothered me. I have been living and traveling alone for quite a while and I am not quite sure how an extra person (especially in a roomette) will affect me. Of the 9 different trains, I will be taking, I will be in a roomette only twice, the rest of the time I will be in a bedroom. I am not a sound sleeper and right now I am inclined to tell him that it is not worth the money to be couped up with a snorer for 2 weeks.

BTW - my ex and I get along pretty well. I am not quite sure how his girlfriend would react to his traveling with me.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

:)

Well, my husband and I have been married going on 50 years, Penny, and he snores pretty loudly, but I don't hear him on our train trips!

(Which may be one reason I enjoy train trips so much, come to think of it ....)

This question is mainly for women whose traveling companions snore. My ex-husband snores significantly. He has just informed me that he would like to join me on my 2 week cross country trip and would help pay for it. It has been a very long time since I have shared a sleeper with him and I do not remember how badly his snoring bothered me. I have been living and traveling alone for quite a while and I am not quite sure how an extra person (especially in a roomette) will affect me. Of the 9 different trains, I will be taking, I will be in a roomette only twice, the rest of the time I will be in a bedroom. I am not a sound sleeper and right now I am inclined to tell him that it is not worth the money to be couped up with a snorer for 2 weeks.BTW - my ex and I get along pretty well. I am not quite sure how his girlfriend would react to his traveling with me.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
I travel in sleeper bedrooms and can hear snoring through the walls in the adjoining bedrooms at night. On my last tripper there was a snoring passenger in rooms on both sides of me. It was not so loud that it kept me awake. I cannot comment as to whether it would keep you awake in the same compartment or in the soach sctions.

What do they do about loud snorers in coach?

Has anyone had any experiences where they couldn't sleep because someone nearby was snoring too loudly?

That's funny, my hubby & I both snore, but I didn't hear him snoring while we were on the trains. Usually I hear him.

We were in bedrooms, last time in a roomette. I didn't hear anyone else snoring either.

I would bring some earplugs just in case.

Maybe he won't snore on the train!

Generally, women snore louder than men. And they are even worse on trains. My girlfriend seems to be so. Fortunately, I have learned to cancel it out.

Earplugs. Don't leave home without them. Heck, I even use them for weekend naps at home.

4369494631_e92df3f3d0_m.jpg

I snore pretty badly and am on the verge of getting one of those anti-apnea CPAP devices, so I was concerned that even in a roomette, I'd be annoying other passengers. I bought some of this spray stuff before I left. Not sure how well it worked, but nobody was banging on the door and telling me to shut up.

Once, heading from NY to DC on train 67, I was near one of the loudest snorers in coach I've ever experienced. (Since it was 3 am and everyone else was also trying to sleep, a lot of people were uncomfortable with it, but the train was nearly sold out.)

I don't know what his final destination was... but he was still snoring away when we hit the platform in WAS. I wonder if the engine change finally woke him up.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have decided that my comfort is more important than sharing the cost and have explained this to my ex. I enjoy traveling by myself - except you are never alone when you are on the train if you do not want to be.

Thanks again.

On my last trip from Chicago to Cleveland, I apologized to the guy that sat next to me in coach when we left Chicago for any snoring I might do along the way. In fact, I always tell people to elbow me if I start snoring. In turns out, he was the worst snored I've ever encountered. The only thing I could do was keep shifting my position hoping it would distrub him enough to get some respite from it.

Treat an overnight train ride like you would an overnight flight.

Earplugs!

I'm afraid snoring is one of those things which you can't really bother someone for. A bit like when someone clearly has not washed for a while. You feel like saying something, but something inside you tells you not to.

I have always found the 'whoosh' of the air conditioning system, especially on Amfleet equipment, to be loud enough to mask out most all sounds.

When it temporarily stops, say when an engine change occurs, the resulting silence is eerie. Suddenly you can hear all the sounds you were missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back