Slidell Loop Hole

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainut

Train Attendant
I would like to use the Sidel Loop and use up some AGR Points.

I will have a bit more than 30,000 points.

This is what I want to do for a 2 zone 30,000 points.

MSP to CHI to WAS to SDL and come back SDL to CHS to CIN to IND to CHI back to MSP.

I can bring this route up oh the Amtrak Arrow, but still don't know if it will fly.

Does anyone think this can be done?

Thanks in advanse,

Trainut

First, SDL is Slidell - not Sidal. But I won't hold that against you! :D

If you wanted to do that 1st part (MSP-SDL) with no stopovers, then yes that could be dine for 15,000 points! :) The second segment (the return) could not! :( Unless you mis-typed, CHS is Charleston, SC. (Did you mean CVS - Charlottesville, VA? :huh: If so, and you meant connecting to the Cardinal - again with no stopovers - then yes! :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the BAD spelling.

Yes you were right I had the wrong station code. Slidell would be the starting point then Charlottesville then on the Cardinal to Chicago

I also forgot to mention we want a deluxe bedroom, no stops either way, except (forced) the overnight in Slidell.

You mentioned that you wanted to spend 30,000 points. That would be 15,000 points each way. Thus I assumed you wanted a roomette. The cost for a 1 zone roomette award is 15,000 points. The cost for a 1 zone bedroom award is 20,000 points.

So, if both ways were done in a roomette - then yes it could be done for 30,000 points. :) But if both ways were done in a bedroom, then no - that would cost 40,000 points. :(

Also remember that the award cost is the same for either 1 or 2. And also remember that the Cardinal only operates 3 times a week!

You also can book MSP-NOL via Charlottesville. Then you can stay the night in New Orleans (is there any place to stay in Slidell?) and buy a $9 ticket NOL-SDL for the return trip.

In any case, I've booked a similar one-zone reward, Atlanta-Washington-Chicago-Minot for December, so you can get the routing you want. Remember, if an AGR clerk won't give you the routing you want, politely end the call and try again the next day.

Re-reading your OP, you mentioned a 2 zone award. Even though you cross the zone border (twice :D ), because both MSP and SDL are in the central zone, it would only be a 1 zone award. But because you will be ending an award (and not connecting), you would need to redeem 1 award for MSP-SDL and another for SDL-MSP.

As Ispolkom stated, you could either buy a $9 ticket between SDL and NOL, or AGR may offer that routing right to NOL. (You could ask.) A few months ago, I booked that loophole to BHM, but later decided to go to NOL. They extended the Crescent booking to NOL. (They may want to route you from CHI-NOL on the CONO. If so, book to SDL and then but a SDL-NOL ticket for $9 on line! ;) )

Back