Slidell, LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Conductor
Many people from Mississippi and Louisiana like to drive to Slidell to pick up the train to avoid the issues with going into New Orleans.

The train station there does not offer full service though.

I had to come through Slidel once because the bridge I planned to cross on u90 was out of order. Seems like a nice town, there was a hotel near the station so this could be used for people looking to spend the night.

Deluxe

1662 Gause Blvd.

Slidell, LA 70458

United States (USA)

1-800-230-4134

I there are about 7,000 people getting on at this station each year.

I am not sure of the history of Slidell, I think it was built as a railroad town around 1880 though.

Many people from Mississippi and Louisiana like to drive to Slidell to pick up the train to avoid the issues with going into New Orleans.
I have used the Slidell stop on the Crescent multiple times for the reason Mr. Ed mentions. There was always a fair amount of passengers getting off and on at the station. I have always wondered why the stop is a flag stop designation.

I have used the Slidell stop on the Crescent multiple times for the reason Mr. Ed mentions. There was always a fair amount of passengers getting off and on at the station. I have always wondered why the stop is a flag stop designation.
I would guess it makes it so that 19 can leave early so if they are ahead of schedule they can just finish their route. I doubt there are many people going from SDL to NOL.

I would guess it makes it so that 19 can leave early so if they are ahead of schedule they can just finish their route. I doubt there are many people going from SDL to NOL.
Isn't that what the "L" is for in the TT?

seems like they both have about the same end effect

The train station there does not offer full service though.

I had to come through Slidel once because the bridge I planned to cross on u90 was out of order. Seems like a nice town, there was a hotel near the station so this could be used for people looking to spend the night.

Deluxe

1662 Gause Blvd.

Slidell, LA 70458

United States (USA)

1-800-230-4134

I am not sure of the history of Slidell, I think it was built as a railroad town around 1880 though.
From the official city website, here is the history:

Slidell, Louisiana was founded around 1882 during construction of a major new railroad from New Orleans to Meridian, Mississippi, connecting there with Cincinnati, Ohio and eventually with New York, NY. The New Orleans and Northeastern (n.o.n.e.) Railroad established a building camp at first high ground north of Lake Pontchartrain which eventually grew into the city. Slidell was chartered as a town in 1888 by the Louisiana legislature.

Sometime prior to Slidell’s formal incorporation in 1888, its first streets were laid out in a grid pattern, mostly east of the railroad, running three blocks along the road by four blocks deep. Bonfouca Street, now Bayou Lane, lay in the short stretch between the railroad and the bayou. East of the tracks, the north-south streets were Bayou (now Front), First, Second, Third and Fourth. The east-west streets were Fremaux, Erlanger, Bouscaren and Cousin.

Erlanger, slightly wider than the others and designated as an avenue, was named by Baron Frederick Erlanger, head of the banking syndicate which financed the railway. Baron Erlanger named the town for his deceased father-in-law, John Slidell, who had been a prominent state, national and confederate political figure. Col. Leon J. Fremaux, a prominent Louisiana engineer and planner, drew the original plans for Slidell and named Fremaux Avenue for himself. Bouscaren Street was named for G. Bouscaren, the chief engineering officer of the railroad. Cousin Street took its name from the locally prominent Cousin family.

In the thirty or so years after its founding, Slidell developed a creosote plant, one of the country’s largest brick manufacturing facilities, a large lumber mill and a shipyard. The Slidell shipyard contributed significantly to the national effort in both World Wars. Slidell residents worked in New Orleans ship, tank and airplane construction during World War II.

In the 1960’s, Slidell began to assume its modern profile as the middle of three local sites in NASA’s lunar landing program: Michoud assembly facility in New Orleans, the computer facility in Slidell, and the Mississippi test facility in Hancock County, Mississippi.

Slidell is located at the southeastern tip of St. Tammany Parish in Louisiana's famous Ozone Belt. It is about three miles from the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain and is surrounded by rivers and bayous. The largest municipality in the parish, Slidell has grown from a population of 364 in 1890 to 24,142 in 1990; Slidell's 1999 population is estimated to be 32,000. Today, Slidell continues to deal with urban planning and growth, of preserving a sense of present and past, while accommodating an ever increasing number of residents.

Last edited by a moderator:
We may need an administrator to determine this one but I believe an "L" mandates that the train stops but may leave early whereas the flag does not require a stop unless picking up or discharging pax. Another side to this Slidell stop is the engineer is by him/herself in the cab. Federal regulations require that the train stop movement in order to copy a track warrant to get into New Orleans when there is only one person on the engine.

We may need an administrator to determine this one but I believe an "L" mandates that the train stops but may leave early whereas the flag does not require a stop unless picking up or discharging pax. Another side to this Slidell stop is the engineer is by him/herself in the cab. Federal regulations require that the train stop movement in order to copy a track warrant to get into New Orleans when there is only one person on the engine.

The burgeoning population of Baton Rouge may be the cause of the added Slidell passengers. How about a dedicated Slidell-Hammond-Baton Rouge Thruway bus?

having spent a couple nights - with about 20 yeasrs betweem them - in Slidell, I can say only one thing: Bring your own water. The taste of the Slidell water is someting to be remembered, and preferably not repeated.

The burgeoning population of Baton Rouge may be the cause of the added Slidell passengers. How about a dedicated Slidell-Hammond-Baton Rouge Thruway bus?
Well if this great idea ever reaches 60 Massachusetts Avenue it will have to pass a Homeland Security check,the proposal will have to be sniffed out by an Amtrak security dog and most importantly it will take 3 to 5 years to develop the routes this bus could take.(Oh yes, it might even take up to five years to train the bus driver.) Then the next administration can call for a new study and we'll be back to square one. Sorry for the sarcasm but after the SAS-NOL hype I've lost a lot of faith in an organization I had very little faith in to start off with.

P.S. This great idea would also have to get the final approval of Special Agent Pat~ IF you can find him lurking in the shadows somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if this great idea ever reaches 60 Massachusetts Avenue it will have to pass a Homeland Security check,the proposal will have to be sniffed out by an Amtrak security dog and most importantly it will take 3 to 5 years to develop the routes this bus could take.(Oh yes, it might even take up to five years to train the bus driver.) Then the next administration can call for a new study and we'll be back to square one. Sorry for the sarcasm but after the SAS-NOL hype I've lost a lot of faith in an organization I had very little faith in to start off with.
If it is a good idea is is bound to be killed. That is simply government bureauacracy in action, not just Amtrak's. I have thought from the beginning that there should be a dedicated bus between Jackson MS and Meridian, at least, if not originating in Vicksburg going as far back as Southern Railway days. but that seems tohave never been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back