Sleeping on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattN

I will be traveling on the CZ and the LSL both overnighting to Chicago and Boston. What should I bring to make sleeping easier?

thanks

Here the check list:

The obvious- Overnight bag with all your personal stuff (medicines, hairbrush, small hair dryer,toothbrush/toothpaste etc) , a full change of clothes, PJ's

The helpful things- Pillow (carry it in a plastic bag) a can of Lysol Spray to disinfect the bathroom and sink, duct tape to secure anything loose in the room, laptop to watch movies on, books, newspaper, magazines (or whatever you like to read).

A mini cooler to keep a couple of your favorite soft or hard drinks and filled with ice.

an imersion heater to make hot water for instant coffe or hot chocolate, pkgs of sweetner, Starbucks Via packages (really good instant coffee) and a small 4 oz containr of milk that can be stored in the mini cooler.

Some people also carry a weapon for protection but this is illegal under current Amtrak policy.

I will be traveling on the CZ and the LSL both overnighting to Chicago and Boston. What should I bring to make sleeping easier?

thanks
Last year there was a posting of what should be in your survival kit. It included clothes pegs to hold curtains closed, a power bar for your electronics. In coach, I'd suggest a short extension cord and an adaptor to make one outlet three or six, too, since outlets can be over subscribed and inconveniently located. In a sleeper you get a toiletry kit. Someone suggested gaffers' tape but I didn't use it last spring and didn't need it last week.

Have a great trip!

We just got back from a round trip (GBB to EMY and back) on the CZ and found the mattresses to be thin. Top bunk is less comfortable because it's the mattress on a hard surface. Bottom is the thin mattress on the seat padding, so it's a bit more comfortable (bedroom and roomette). And be prepared for any temperature. We had problems with the heat coming on in our car on the way out to EMY. Our SCA had to mess with it a lot to turn it off. The trip back was fine. And, yes, the pillows are pretty anemic.

Here the check list:

The obvious- Overnight bag with all your personal stuff (medicines, hairbrush, small hair dryer,toothbrush/toothpaste etc) , a full change of clothes, PJ's

The helpful things- Pillow (carry it in a plastic bag) a can of Lysol Spray to disinfect the bathroom and sink, duct tape to secure anything loose in the room, laptop to watch movies on, books, newspaper, magazines (or whatever you like to read).

A mini cooler to keep a couple of your favorite soft or hard drinks and filled with ice.

an imersion heater to make hot water for instant coffe or hot chocolate, pkgs of sweetner, Starbucks Via packages (really good instant coffee) and a small 4 oz containr of milk that can be stored in the mini cooler.

Some people also carry a weapon for protection but this is illegal under current Amtrak policy.
Holy molly, I thought I traveled heavy! I'd ditch the mini-cooler, imersion heater, but DEF bring the duct tape, cork screw, pocket knife, and slippers or sandals, for the trip to the loo. Hair dryer? R U kidding me? Pillow? There are usually four to a room.............. Lysol OK, Wet Wipes. OK. Scanner, bag it. I'll sell ya mine, used once or twice. Just don't get into ".........NO DEFECTS, 32 AXLES..." anymore.

Small power strip.

Laptop, WiFi, and GPS. You bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always bring a power strip for my phone, wife's phone, lap-top, etc. I also bring a light that can clip on to a book since I don't always find the lighting the greatest for reading.

You may want to bring a set of thermal or silk pj's to sleep in instead of an extra blanket.

If you have trouble sleeping, you may want to bring something like melatonin to help.

Make sure you pack anything you would need while on the train-such as aspirin, etc.

Usually they sell it in the snack bar area of the SSL, if you forget it.

I bring velcro dots for those curtains that won't stay closed! Have a great trip.

I know people are going to do what they're going to do, so I won't tell you not to spray Lysol around in the closed environment of the sleeping car, but oh man the smell of that stuff makes me so sick. I swear I'm allergic to it, it makes my throat swell up. If that smell was in the car I don't think I could even sleep. Just saying.

What should I bring to make sleeping easier?
A bottle of Cabernet.
I enjoy a bit of Scotch myself but diphenhydramine hydrochloride is even quicker than liquor.

Just don't get into ".........NO DEFECTS, 32 AXLES..." anymore.
The part that confuses me is when the number of axles occasionally changes to an uneven number?!

Travel light. Just the essentials. Corkscrew and duct tape.
Sounds like the beginning of a horror movie. :unsure:

I am loving the answers on here - both informative and funny! I made almost the same trip last year Cleveland to Emeryville. I recommend bringing snacks - box of your favorite crackers or cookies and something nutritious like a few apples or bananas - you never know when they're going to run out of what you want in the diner or lounge!

We've learned to bring a small spray bottle of Febreze, just in case the room is a little stuffy, or heaven forbid there's a restroom failure somewhere else in the sleeper and the AC system picks up & distributes the news.

We've learned to bring a small spray bottle of Febreze, just in case the room is a little stuffy, or heaven forbid there's a restroom failure somewhere else in the sleeper and the AC system picks up & distributes the news.
Thanks, Joel. That is a GOOD idea. Will add it to the duct tape, flashlight and Swiss Army knife that is the core of my Amtrak kit!

I know people are going to do what they're going to do, so I won't tell you not to spray Lysol around in the closed environment of the sleeping car, but oh man the smell of that stuff makes me so sick. I swear I'm allergic to it, it makes my throat swell up. If that smell was in the car I don't think I could even sleep. Just saying.

I feel the same way about Lysol spray. I bring clorox wipes with me and I clean all the surfaces in my room as soon as I enter.

I also bring a power strip which comes in very handy. On my trips, I bring a really small hair dryer and I ALWAYS bring snacks. I do not bring pillows or blankets, but bring a hoodie just in case it is too cold in my room.

Travel light. Just the essentials.
If it doesn't fit into a diaper bag, it doesn't go.

diaperBag.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back