Sleeping in coach/LSL coach seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you sit where you want in coach or must you wait for the attendant to sit you?

I'm getting advice that if you want a chance at 2 seats together you should head to the last coach car on the train.

Are you boarding the Boston or NY section at its origin? If you are boarding at an origin you can ask for a Red Cap to "pre-board" you, I do this at NYP pretty often. A small gratuity gets me choice of seating (car may be specific to destination)....

It really depends on where you are boarding & how full the train is.

If the train is more on the empty side & you are boarding during the day, than chances are you'll get to pick your seat. Once on board if a seat opens up in your car you can request to move to it.

peter

if the Coaches are really crowded the Attendant most likely will assign seats. It can also depend on where you board and where you will be getting off.
if the Coaches are really crowded the Attendant most likely will assign seats. It can also depend on where you board and where you will be getting off.
I'm boarding at the Chicago Union Station so that's the start of the line. The end is Penn Station NYC.

It really depends on where you are boarding & how full the train is.

If the train is more on the empty side & you are boarding during the day, than chances are you'll get to pick your seat. Once on board if a seat opens up in your car you can request to move to it.

peter
Boarding at Chicago Union Station but the train leaves at 9:30 at night. Gets into NYC at 6:23pm next day.

Are you arriving in Chicago by train and connecting, or is that your origin? I have only boarded in Chicago from/to a sleeper, so I boarded from the lounge, that is a bit different, but if you are connecting from a sleeper or BC in Chicago you would have lounge access also. If you have any mobility limitation or a bunch of carry on, you may wish to use a golf cart red cap, the walk can be long.....

If boarding a long distance train at the origin (as you are doing), most times you can chose your own seat. Another points enroute, you may or may not be assigned a seat. Corridor trains do not have coach attendants, so you chose your own seats.

I would be very surprised if you couldn't pre-board in Chicago. And even if you can't, car attendants almost always try to seat groups together, so I really wouldn't worry. Have a great trip!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Boarding in Chicago, the Conductors will want to passengers organized by overnight stops in a car, NY Penn in a car, and those going on the Boston section. Once on the Conductor will place a stub for each of you above your seats showing your destination. Those boarding after you at other stations, especially at night may be assigned seats.

Since the Boston and NY sections split at Albany (at least until the yet to be determined Summer change to accommodate work approaching NYP) getting the Boston section passengers into those cars that go East across Mass, and those going South towards NYC into that section makes total sense. It minimizes the disruptions along the way.

One on A/T trip a few years back there was a couple with sheets blankets, a few clips and pillows that actually made their coach seats into a cubicle. The seats recline and with a bit of isolation they slept fine. While it has been many years, I use to sleep in coach on aircraft and on trains. If you have trouble sleeping an over the counter sleep aid called Unisom Sleep tabs (dioxylmine succinate) usually does the trick. Most people on the A/T ride in coach and sleep well. Much depends on your mental attitude. .

Are you taking the Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, or Cardinal?
Lake Shore Limited
Ok. So you will not be in ‘bedroom 11 on the lower level of a Superliner’. You are booked for roomette 11 on a Viewliner (single level). The layout is VERY different from that of a Superliner, so I highly recommend calling or checking the Amtrak site for info.

Are you taking the Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, or Cardinal?
Lake Shore Limited
Ok. So you will not be in ‘bedroom 11 on the lower level of a Superliner’. You are booked for roomette 11 on a Viewliner (single level). The layout is VERY different from that of a Superliner, so I highly recommend calling or checking the Amtrak site for info.
I'm in coach. I don't have the money for a bedroom.

I'm asking about the coach layout on a viewliner train, the behaviour of people in coach, are the seats good to sleep in, etc.

LSL normally uses AM-2 coaches. They are pretty generous in room and recline, not everyone sleeps well in a chair regardless, so you will hear many different opinions on the subject. The only one that matters is yours. Passenger behavior varies widely by time of year and day of week, vacation, spring break, holidays, and weekends you get more families, students, and others who may tend to be a bit "livelier" I take a roomette, but travel the lake a couple of times every year, and walk the train at least once at night to keep the blood circulating, it has been pretty calm on my trips. Eye shades, pillow and light blanket come in handy.

Amfleet IIs have the same seats and seat pitch as Superliner coaches. They recline a long way and have plentiful leg room. My only real complaint about those seats is the lack of an armrest to divide the space between you and your seat mate. Passenger behavior varies fairly widely but most conductors will try to keep things quiet in the coaches at night.

I usually can't sleep in coach but the toilets on my sleeper froze up on the LSL on one of my winter trips and they kicked us out of the sleeper and put us in business class. I was able to sleep a bit in a business class seat that seemed more comfortable and spacious than coach. If it's not a lot more money for you, I'd recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back