Sleeping double in a single roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy559

Service Attendant
I had a blast on my first trip, but went solo. I am trying to convince my S/O to accompany me next time, but the trip I am planning (SWC 2 nights to LAX, and CS 1 night to PDX, and back) will be 6 days and 6 nights R/T.

The only contingency is that we not sleep apart, so has anyone successfully attempted sleeping 2 on the bottom bunk of a roomette, and/or is there a weight limit for the bottom bunk?

Serious question, I know it sounds funny, but everything a green light except for this. Thanks.

1925342_785268891500725_1117559472_n.jpg

I was able to look at a bedroom on my trip and the bottom bunk, set up as a couch, would be plenty of room, I am just worried about the armrests on the bottom bunk of the roomette, and can't afford a bedroom for this trip, it will be on points. I tried to pitch the upper bunk/lower bunk and just hold hands, but its a no go. I think it would work, but was also concerned about the weight limit, the way the bottom bunk is hinged.

For the weight limit, you should be okay, but oh man... that is a TIGHT fit. The bottom bunk in a Superliner Bedroom is the same width as a twin mattress. The roomette bunks are even smaller. It is 28" across. When I lay on my back and my arms are against my side, I touch the edges of the mattress. I actually like that I'm sort of cradled within the arm rests, but I can't imagine trying to squeeze another person in there, even if I'm on my side.

Measure out 28" on the floor (or your mattress) with painter's/masking tape, lay down together, and see how it goes.

I am small. Approximately 5'2" and less than 120 pounds. I think the roomette bottom bunk is tight with just me. I cannot imagine sharing with anyone.

I say upgrade to the BR. Recently was on 30 and the upper bunk was very very tight. Bear in mind I'm 6 foot and weigh 250 lbs. I had trouble getting in and out of the top bunk. The top bunk on Viewliners are much better. But Superliners go for the bedroom.

On my last TE trip, there was a couple - not young either - that had spent the entire trip (3 nights) from LA sleeping together on the bottom bunk.

They said that they liked keeping all of their stuff on the top bunk.

They said that it wasn't a big deal for them because they had spent the early years of their marriage sleeping on a couch.

That would be a good way to see if it would work out for you.

If you guys like snuggling, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boyfriend and I did sleep one night together on the bottom bunk of our roomette. We slept head to foot and were wedged together exactly as though two people had been placed in a coffin.

Once we found a position where we could relax without anyone's knee or elbow poking into us, we could not move at all. We did actually spend the night together that way though, it was kind of fun. We do really like each other a lot.

The next night he took the upper bunk so we could be sure of getting proper rest.

The g/f and I slept on the bottom bunk last summer on the last night of our EB section of out trip. Head to foot. She is small, I am not. Was OK, except I needed to place a pillow behind my back to keep it from being poked by the arm rest thingy.

For the weight limit, you should be okay, but oh man... that is a TIGHT fit. The bottom bunk in a Superliner Bedroom is the same width as a twin mattress. The roomette bunks are even smaller. It is 28" across. When I lay on my back and my arms are against my side, I touch the edges of the mattress. I actually like that I'm sort of cradled within the arm rests, but I can't imagine trying to squeeze another person in there, even if I'm on my side.

Measure out 28" on the floor (or your mattress) with painter's/masking tape, lay down together, and see how it goes.
ok, if its 28 inches i guess we can do it. Not that i would ever disagree with the S/O but its all aboard except for that, lets go do this, but I will not sleep apart from you for 6 days and you are crazy if you think I will, just go alone again, is what i have, so... ?

If you go alone again you won't sleep together for more than 6 nights

My lips are sealed,,, but my secret is safe,,, the gentle rocking motion of the sleeper,,, the constant click /clack of the track ,,,, who needs Bolero? or Bo Derrick for that matter ....

What an interesting topic. My wife and I ( both average size ) have traveled in roomettes on various trips over the years. CZ, EB, SWC, CL, and have always shared the lower bed. Cozy. Just be careful rolling over. I think you'd get wedged before you hit the floor. Never any real problems, but maybe the wine after dinner helps. :)

I had no idea two fully grown adults could fit in the bottom bunk of a roomette. Sounds extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable to me. Insisting on constant intimacy is cute when you're young and ignorant, but if you really love the other person you'd let them have a decent nights rest without making a fuss about it.

Bon voyage. Go for it. You'll have fun talking about it at breakfast.

I had no idea two fully grown adults could fit in the bottom bunk of a roomette. Sounds extremely unpleasant and uncomfortable to me. Insisting on constant intimacy is cute when you're young and ignorant, but if you really love the other person you'd let them have a decent nights rest without making a fuss about it.
Totally agree. But if thats the way you roll. Even my daughter and I have a hard time sleeping together in a reg. bedroom lower bunk. But this last trip I discovered the top bunk and boy did I sleep like a champ. Its not rough on the top bunk as it is on the bottom and it kinda lulls you to sleep.After I figured out how to get up and down the ladder it was all good.

And when the person next to the window has to get up in the middle of the night?
Obviously two other people (like me) who forget what it was like when they were young.

To the OP, you can sleep two on the bottom bunk if both of you like to cuddle (I do mean close) or if you sleep head to foot. You can't move much and body parts tend to fall asleep at times. Mrs. Ghost and I have done it several times. I won't say it was fantastic nor will I say it is undoable. You just have to give it a try and see if you can make it work. Honestly, I spend part of the night with her on the bottom bunk and, at some point, I climb into the top bunk for my comfort. Just for accuracy, I am above average size and she is petite. I cannot imagine two larger people finding any comfort in this arrangement, but that is only my opinion and I am only referring to a roomette. Have fun! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back