Sleepers, SDS & me

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam31452

Service Attendant
As I havent' been travelling with Amtrak since Fall 1998 (wich is due to the fact that I'm living in Europe), my knowldege about Amtrak needs an Update for my Trip in June/July/August 2009

In 1998 I travelled only by Roomette, never in a Coach car, currently I have to decide wether I should take a sleeper on certain routes or not. So my questions are:

- Is a Superliner/Amfleet -Coach a place where you can get a few hours of sleep during nighttime?

- I've read a few time that "SDS" had negative effects on the Food service. Do I have to expect to see the same Amtrak-Standard Menu on every Amtrak train ? Will there be a changing Menu on the long distance trains (i.e. Trains No 1-14 and 421/422)?

I'm a vegetarian so this question will probably be decisive on wheter to spend $500 for a Roomette or not.

-How can I make sure I get a roomette on the upper Level of a Superliner Car?

And as I plan to buy a railpass: Does the reservation restriction also apply to sleeper compartments ?

Can I reserve them more than 180 Days before the End of my trip and will they be available to me even when the Coach seats reserved for pass holders are already sold out?

BTW: I am still looking for interesting National Parks which aren't too far from an Amtrak Station, as I would like to do a bit of Hiking for a few days. (Glacier NP, Grand Canyon NP and Yosemite NP have already been integrated into my timetable)

Hope to meet you somwhere in a Lounge Car !

- Is a Superliner/Amfleet -Coach a place where you can get a few hours of sleep during nighttime?- I've read a few time that "SDS" had negative effects on the Food service. Do I have to expect to see the same Amtrak-Standard Menu on every Amtrak train ? Will there be a changing Menu on the long distance trains (i.e. Trains No 1-14 and 421/422)?

I'm a vegetarian so this question will probably be decisive on wheter to spend $500 for a Roomette or not.

-How can I make sure I get a roomette on the upper Level of a Superliner Car?

And as I plan to buy a railpass: Does the reservation restriction also apply to sleeper compartments ?
I used to travel all the time in coach, but I still do sometimes. And yes, you can sleep during the nighttime. Not like sleeping in a roomette, and you don't have the privacy of a roomette, but you can sleep for a few hours.

Pretty much, the same menu is used on all trains. But if you have a sleeper on #14, you will (or should) have a Pacific Parlour Car (PPC)! B) And if you choose to eat in the PPC, you do have a different menu there!

The only way to make sure your roomette is on the upper level is to talk with a live agent. (But if you plan on using a Pass, I believe you need to book with an agent anyway.)

AFAIK, the Pass allows you to upgrade to a roomette pending the payment of the accommodation charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back