Sleeper / Weather problems

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
All the reports and talk about the problems with the harsh winter taking it's toll on the Viewliners, I couldn't help but to think of a couple things.

First, does VIA Rail have these types of problems with there 'heritage' style sleepers in the winter at the same rate of failures that Amtrak is having? Lord knows it's worse there then it is here with the weather.

Second, I will say it again.... Some of those old 10/6 sleepers should have been kept in NYC and Chicago yards just for these types of problems. Then lease them out for excursions and such during the months of fair weather. Even if they needed rebuilding, it may be worth that extra money to keep passengers happy and revenue flowing. But they junked them all, and now are in big trouble with shortages.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Those 10-6's needed major work to keep them on the road. They all needed new trucks, and no one makes them anymore. Plus they needed major overhauls, plus retainage toilets too.

So you are talking mega bucks just to keep the 10-6's on the road.

That's why Amtrak eliminated them and either sold them off or scrapped them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back