Sleeper Returns to Cardinal Mid-March

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
From Gene Poon.

SLEEPER RETURNS TO THE CARDINAL IN MID-MARCH
DUE TO SOME CREATIVE EQUIPMENT MANIPULATIONS, AMTRAK'S CNOC-

EQUIPMENT PLANNING GROUP HAS BEEN ABLE TO COMMIT TO A RETURN

OF SLEEPERS TO THE CARDINAL (TRAINS 50-51) STARTING IN MID-MARCH.

TRAIN 51 OF 14MAR04 AND TRAIN 50 OF 16MAR04 WILL BE THE FIRST

DEPARTURES THAT HAVE VIEWLINER SLEEPERS IN THEIR CONSISTS.

ARROW HAS BEEN ADJUSTED AND ROOMS ARE LISTED FOR SALE IN THE

RESERVATIONS SYSTEM.

NO FIRM PLANS HAVE BEEN FORMULATED REGARDING THE RETURN OF THE

BAGGAGE OR DINING CARS TO THE CONSIST.  IN THE MEANTIME, FIRST

CLASS PASSENGERS WILL BE OFFERED AN ENHANCED MEAL SERVICE IN

THE CARDINAL'S LOUNGE CAR -- SIMILAR TO THE TYPE OF SERVICE

CURRENTLY OFFERED ON THE THREE RIVERS (TRAINS 40-41).

CHECKED BAGGAGE SERVICE REMAINS UNAVAILABLE FOR THE CARDINAL.

-Amtrak

Well this is good news. We all know that the train has lost quite a bit of its ridership since the loss of its diner/sleepers. This should help to get the train back on the right track

Side note: Hey Bill, did you enjoy Atlanta's snow day today :D . I was so happy when I learned the news, I had a big test I did not study for :lol:

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Side note: Hey Bill, did you enjoy Atlanta's snow day today :D . I was so happy when I learned the news, I had a big test I did not study for :lol:
Yes,I enjoyed it, but it does not keep me from work.....just have to get up that much earlier to be sure I am not delayed getting in. MARTA was running perfectly, both bus and train.

Now let it snow about 5 or 6 or more inches, some Saturday or something, then I will be doing well.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Let me get this straight. They cancel school down there on account of a couple inches of snow???

That is a very good News to the Passagers who want to sleep on the Viewliner Sleeper Car on the Cardinal Trains 50 and 51. :D :D

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Side note: Hey Bill, did you enjoy Atlanta's snow day today :D . I was so happy when I learned the news, I had a big test I did not study for   :lol:
Let me get this straight. They cancel school down there on account of a couple inches of snow???
Yup. In fact, last year, when it snowed 6 inches down here last year, schools were closed for 2 days.

This is great, hopefully this will be a continuing trend. The Cardinal was already pathetic with its consist, now at least its a little more realistic. No if only we could get the baggage car, diner, (and dorm if its not going to be on their) and we'll be set.

Amfleet,

Since it snows so infrequently down South (with any accumulation) most cities do not have the equipment to deal with it that their northern counterparts do. I woul dbe shocked if Atlanta has any snow plows or salters (the probably have sanders). When I was at UA we had an ice storm on a Friday that closed the City of Tuscaloosa down for 3 days because thay had nothing that could effectively deal with it. Also, there is no real way to justify the expense of snow removal equipment to the taxpayers when it is only used once or twice every 5 years or so.

tp49 said:
Amfleet,
Since it snows so infrequently down South (with any accumulation) most cities do not have the equipment to deal with it that their northern counterparts do. I woul dbe shocked if Atlanta has any snow plows or salters (the probably have sanders). When I was at UA we had an ice storm on a Friday that closed the City of Tuscaloosa down for 3 days because thay had nothing that could effectively deal with it. Also, there is no real way to justify the expense of snow removal equipment to the taxpayers when it is only used once or twice every 5 years or so.
I was just jokin' around though. We always get amused up north when the entire south shuts down over 1-2 inches of snow. I mean, you watch the news seeing people clearing driveways with pots and pans from their kitchen, I can't help but laugh. Though ice is a more frequent, and much more dangerous, situation to the south.

I always found it humorous too as a northerner in the south when it snowed maybe two ro three inches and the entire city shut down. Then again people from Syracuse find it humorous when NYC would close down due to 6-12 inches of snow since it snows so much there. I kind of wish it would snow here just to see how they's handle it.

Amfleet said:
tp49 said:
Amfleet,
Since it snows so infrequently down South (with any accumulation) most cities do not have the equipment to deal with it that their northern counterparts do.  I woul dbe shocked if Atlanta has any snow plows or salters (the probably have sanders).  When I was at UA we had an ice storm on a Friday that closed the City of Tuscaloosa down for 3 days because thay had nothing that could effectively deal with it.  Also, there is no real way to justify the expense of snow removal equipment to the taxpayers when it is only used once or twice every 5 years or so.
I was just jokin' around though. We always get amused up north when the entire south shuts down over 1-2 inches of snow. I mean, you watch the news seeing people clearing driveways with pots and pans from their kitchen, I can't help but laugh. Though ice is a more frequent, and much more dangerous, situation to the south.
The Atlanta area has sanders and salt trucks-with plows attached to the front. However, there are very few, as they normally "patrol" in the northern Georgia mountains area.

Plus, since it doesn't snow very much down there, most drivers have no clue on how to drive in the snow. So the highways end up looking like skating rinks with cars going each and every direction. :lol: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back