Sleeper redemption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray828

Train Attendant
I now have enough points for a sleeper in a one zone destination. How does the redemption work? Does the voucher include just the sleeping car price or do I have to pay the difference in coach? If any one else is to join you in the sleeper are they covered by the voucher, or must they pay the coach fare as well? Any information on this would be great. I have never tried to redeem my points before and am a little confused? Thanks

I now have enough points for a sleeper in a one zone destination. How does the redemption work? Does the voucher include just the sleeping car price or do I have to pay the difference in coach? If any one else is to join you in the sleeper are they covered by the voucher, or must they pay the coach fare as well? Any information on this would be great. I have never tried to redeem my points before and am a little confused? Thanks
Your redemption includes the maximum number of people that can be in the room and no charge for coach. It would be as if you bought the ticket yourself. All the same benefits, meals, etc.

You AGR will cover all occupants of a sleeper room (up to the max allowed for the room). Railfare and accommodations. No additional costs.

No, there is nothing additional out of pocket: the redemption covers both the accomodations charge and the rail fare for as many people as the room's published capacity allows.

As a special case of the above, no, the extra person joining you does not have to pay anything out of pocket either. Note, however, that they may not randomly join you unannounced. Both you and he must be named at the time you redeem, and each of you will get a ticket.

Also note that because it is a sleeper redemption, you must call AGR at +1(800)307-5000 to do so.

Enjoy your trip!

(and write a trip report!)

Two other people answered while I was typing all that, but since I've already typed it ... :p

Since 3 others said the same thing, I might as well too! :p

A AGR award room redemption for 1 includes the rail fare, the room and ALL meals (in the dining car). An AGR award room redemption for 2 includes the rail fare (for BOTH), the room and ALL meals (for BOTH) - for the same rate. As chuljin mentioned, you must name both passengers when you request the redemption.

NOTE: If a portion of your redemption trip includes a segment that does not offer a sleeping car, but does offer business class (such as the NEC, the Surfliners or the Cascades) - you are entitled to get a business class ticket (for BOTH) for that segment! But you may have to ask specifically - most AGR agent will do it automatically, but some may not.

And remember that you MUST call AGR and not the regular Amtrak number to request the redemption.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since all three of the above are excellent answers, all I can add is that you do NOT get AGR points on such redemptions. :(

Since all three of the above are excellent answers, all I can add is that you do NOT get AGR points on such redemptions. :(
Yeah but that makes sense since they base your points on how much you spend so you get 2 points for each $1 spent so $0 x 0 = 0

So it makes sense to me that there is no points awarded while on reward travel.

As a special case of the above, no, the extra person joining you does not have to pay anything out of pocket either. Note, however, that they may not randomly join you unannounced. Both you and he must be named at the time you redeem, and each of you will get a ticket.
Three questions about that --

1. If I reserve a (say) Family Bedroom for four people, and two decide later not to join me, is that a problem from Amtrak's perspective?
  2. Once I make a reservation (for me and somebody else) and I want to switch names (Joe doesn't want to go but now Mary does) how easy/hard is it to do so?
  3. If I want to travel (say) WAS to PDX in a sleeper, can I have somebody join me in CHI or PGH for the same as one three-zone award? (i.e., do all travelers need to start (or end) a one-way award together?)

Yeah but that makes sense since they base your points on how much you spend so you get 2 points for each $1 spent so $0 x 0 = 0
So it makes sense to me that there is no points awarded while on reward travel.
IMHO the fact that it makes sense to you, a reasonable person(?) is not a reliable guide. Please remember you are dealing with Amtrak/AGR :blink:

Three questions about that --
  1. If I reserve a (say) Family Bedroom for four people, and two decide later not to join me, is that a problem from Amtrak's perspective?
  2. Once I make a reservation (for me and somebody else) and I want to switch names (Joe doesn't want to go but now Mary does) how easy/hard is it to do so?
  3. If I want to travel (say) WAS to PDX in a sleeper, can I have somebody join me in CHI or PGH for the same as one three-zone award? (i.e., do all travelers need to start (or end) a one-way award together?)
1 - If the room hold 4, but 2 of them decide not to go, it's not a problem. (See # 3.)

2 - If the tickets have not been printed, I don't think it would be too much of a problem. A quick call to AGR should change it easily. But if you don't get ID'ed, "Bob" or "Sam" could easily pass for "Joe", but "Sue" or "Mary" may not.

3 - I had a reward trip last year for BHM-WAS-CHI-PDX-LAX. My friend could only join me from WAS to PDX. I made the complete reservation including his name - even though he did not travel BHM-WAS or PDX-LAX. It was no problem. (But I doubt you could do that if Mark joined you WAS-CHI and Sally joined you CHI-PDX.)

Back