Sleeper Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I have a roomet on Sunset LTD and after reviewing the diagram on line it looks like there is not a place to keep your clothes dry that you wear to the public shower while showering. I see dressing rooms but it looks like you dress their step into the hall and step into the shower.

I have a roomet on Sunset LTD and after reviewing the diagram on line it looks like there is not a place to keep your clothes dry that you wear to the public shower while showering. I see dressing rooms but it looks like you dress their step into the hall and step into the shower.
The shower room is by no means spacious but has a nominal area to change in and out of clothes plus the shower enclosure. My experience in the sleepers' public showers is that it is well advised to plan on showering earlier rather than later as they can get rather busy, and if you have an upcoming morning stop, you don't want to miss out. Out of courtesy to others who use the showers, get in and get out so as to not cause a back-up. If you need to spend time grooming move over to one of the many restrooms.

The shower room is by no means spacious but has a nominal area to change in and out of clothes plus the shower enclosure. My experience in the sleepers' public showers is that it is well advised to plan on showering earlier rather than later as they can get rather busy, and if you have an upcoming morning stop, you don't want to miss out. Out of courtesy to others who use the showers, get in and get out so as to not cause a back-up. If you need to spend time grooming move over to one of the many restrooms.
It almost sounds like if I want to take breakfast at 6:30 be in the shower by 5 AM.

Last edited by a moderator:
It almost sounds like if I want to take breakfast at 6:30 be in the shower by 5 AM.
That just depends on your needs, wants, desires, and where you might be getting off. For example, if I'm not getting off the train until at least lunch or later, I'll often go to breakfast first. Then around 9:00 or 9:30 I'll look towards taking my shower. Usually there is no wait then.

It's generally busiest between 6:30 & 8:30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although most people are in the habit of showering before they go out in "public", many people in the sleepers won't shower before breakfast - don't forget that most passengers on the train (those in coach) don't have access to showers at all. When you go to breakfast, odds are that your tablemates won't have showered.

On my X-Country trip (my 1st train trip), I was in the shower about 3:30 am to avoid any rush & because morning showers are a habit I've had most of my life. I didn't want to miss any thing, LOL , & I was one of the first for breakfast, usually seeing the sun rise. At night, I never had a problem dozing off either!!! :)

Just one addition~ the Viewliners have showers in the three bedrooms~ one accessible room and two regular bedrooms. The Superliners, save the Trans-dorms, have private showers in bedrooms A through E. Save the accessible room in the Viewliner there's not much room to manuver and I would venture to say many people would have to literally come out of the toilet/shower facility to turn around. It's as close to Survivor~Amtrak as you're going to get. I heavily favor Alan's suggestion of getting up early and being the chipper one at the breakfast table.

For what it's worth, I used the shower on the CL this summer to Chicago, and I think I was one of the few in our sleeper car to take advantage of it. I went after breakfast, and there was no line at all - probably sometime around 7:30 ET. I expected to see a line when I got down there, but there wasn't one. And when I left, there was no line, either.

It is possible that there was a big line between 5 AM and 7 AM, but I don't know. But since this haul was much shorter than some of Amtrak's other LD runs, perhaps people were willing to bypass the shower on this train.

For what it's worth, I used the shower on the CL this summer to Chicago, and I think I was one of the few in our sleeper car to take advantage of it. I went after breakfast, and there was no line at all - probably sometime around 7:30 ET. I expected to see a line when I got down there, but there wasn't one. And when I left, there was no line, either.
It is possible that there was a big line between 5 AM and 7 AM, but I don't know. But since this haul was much shorter than some of Amtrak's other LD runs, perhaps people were willing to bypass the shower on this train.
PU! Hopefully this was not in the summer. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back