Sleeper Meal question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traingeek

Train Attendant
I am going on my first Sleeper next month on the way back from Disney World. I know I get meals on my trip. My question is what comes with the meal. Does it include Dessert on Lunch and Dinner? Can you get Diet Pepsi or Iced Tea (unsweetened) instead of Tea, Coffee or Milk? I would probably be very bored with Tea over the course of three meals on the Silver Meteor.

yes, dessert comes with both lunch and dinner and you can get soft drinks instead of tea. Alcoholic beverages are additional. Enjoy your trip.

I am going on my first Sleeper next month on the way back from Disney World. I know I get meals on my trip. My question is what comes with the meal. Does it include Dessert on Lunch and Dinner? Can you get Diet Pepsi or Iced Tea (unsweetened) instead of Tea, Coffee or Milk? I would probably be very bored with Tea over the course of three meals on the Silver Meteor.
Lunch and dinner both include dessert. You can get any non-alcoholic beverage with your meals complimentary, including soft drinks and iced tea. I'm not sure if the iced tea is unsweetened. I suspect not.

The ice tea is unsweetened. Some dining car attendants will only serve one soft drink per meal per passenger, others will serve seconds. I often order a diet Pepsi for breakfast, instead of coffee.

You likely will be getting lunch shortly after you board the Meteor, if you board in ORL or KIS. The desserts are pretty good. Usually, you have your choice of desserts after lunch and dinner, however on a recent Meteor trip, we were only offered only either ice cream or sorbet for lunch dessert.

I hope enjoy you enjoy your stay at Disney and your trip on the Meteor.

Penny is weird!
wacko.gif

As said, lunch and dinner also includes non-alcoholic beverages and desert. (And the ice tea is unsweetened.) Breakfast includes beverages, juice and a side of meat (bacon or sausage). And for any meals, you can order anything off that meal's menu - there is no restriction! (You can order a $7 meal or a $22.50 meal!)

Penny is weird!
wacko.gif

As said, lunch and dinner also includes non-alcoholic beverages and desert. (And the ice tea is unsweetened.) Breakfast includes beverages, juice and a side of meat (bacon or sausage). And for any meals, you can order anything off that meal's menu - there is no restriction! (You can order a $7 meal or a $22.50 meal!)

Does it differ any in re: the particular LD train? I do know the AT serves Wine with dinner free in the Sleeper Car diner. There is also a "Wine & Cheese" party in the Sleeper lounge car, just prior to departure. I recall even one season they had shrimp (I miss that). :D I recall the old Broadway Ltd. and the LSL having decent steaks. But that was a long time ago.

The AT does? I am not so sure about that. I do know that there are some service differences between LDs, for example, most LDs lack the Wine & Cheese reception. The steak on Amtrak is still pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AT does? I am not so sure about that. I do know that there are some service differences between LDs, for example, most LDs lack the Wine & Cheese reception. The steak on Amtrak is still pretty good.
The dining service on the AT is unique and cannot be compared to that of any other long distance train.

BTW - i will agree with the_traveler that I am weird. :lol: :lol: ...... but then again, aren't we all? :wacko:

The dining service on the AT is unique and cannot be compared to that of any other long distance train.
The Auto Train is a bit more like a cross between regular dining cars & Acela First Class service, in that you get free wine with dinner. The AT is also unique in that everyone on the train gets dinner included & a continental breakfast the next morning. Those traveling in sleepers however get a better menu than those traveling in coach.

If the AT has those services, then they should also improve the EB to have better serivce, even though it is already pretty good. I say, they should add a First Class Lounge, wine included in the meals, and of course, more Sleepers so it dosen't get sold out so much!

If the AT has those services, then they should also improve the EB to have better serivce, even though it is already pretty good. I say, they should add a First Class Lounge, wine included in the meals, and of course, more Sleepers so it dosen't get sold out so much!
Here is what's on Amtrak's website as to the AT's Sleeper Car Menu. Scroll down and click on "Auto Train Sleeping Car Dinner Menu." It appears to be accurate as of last week.

I heard and read that the AT uses real China in the diner. Is that true?

The ice tea is unsweetened. Some dining car attendants will only serve one soft drink per meal per passenger, others will serve seconds. I often order a diet Pepsi for breakfast, instead of coffee.
wow, im not the only one who orders diet pepsi at breakfast.

I heard and read that the AT uses real China in the diner. Is that true?
They do in the Sleeper Diner. Real China, Linens, glassware, silverware, etc. etc. Fake flowers,

but real otherwise. Sometimes, I'll get my desert "to go," in which case it will be plastic ware, but

made to look like the real thing...

Well, I know Coke with breakfast is a southern thing. Is it the same with diet Pepsi?

I often order a diet Pepsi for breakfast, instead of coffee.
For a long time, I was a "Diet Dr. Pepper" person. :D But I've pretty much given up all sodas for health reasons.

I think I did have a Ginger Ale on my last AT ride, simply because I was unaware they had unsweetened Ice Tea,

or I would have done that.

AmtrakBlue said:
1339977124[/url]' post='374340']
Meat Puppet said:
1339975936[/url]' post='374337']
pennyk said:
1339892088[/url]' post='374200']The ice tea is unsweetened. Some dining car attendants will only serve one soft drink per meal per passenger, others will serve seconds. I often order a diet Pepsi for breakfast, instead of coffee.
Well, I know Coke with breakfast is a southern thing. Is it the same with diet Pepsi?
"No Coke for you" Unless you are on the ML and it crosses the border and become a VIA train!

Amtrak - Pepsi, but no Coke

VIA - Coke, but no Pepsi

AmtrakBlue said:
1339977124[/url]' post='374340']
Meat Puppet said:
1339975936[/url]' post='374337']
pennyk said:
1339892088[/url]' post='374200']The ice tea is unsweetened. Some dining car attendants will only serve one soft drink per meal per passenger, others will serve seconds. I often order a diet Pepsi for breakfast, instead of coffee.
"No Coke for you" Unless you are on the ML and it crosses the border and become a VIA train!

Amtrak - Pepsi, but no Coke

VIA - Coke, but no Pepsi
Well, the Cascades crosses the border and it is still "No Coke for You" :lol:

For a long time, I was a "Diet Dr. Pepper" person. :D But I've pretty much given up all sodas for health reasons.

I think I did have a Ginger Ale on my last AT ride, simply because I was unaware they had unsweetened Ice Tea,

I do not drink coffee, but I like caffeine. I usually drink a natural diet soda that is sweetened with Stevia, but sometimes I go off the wagon and drink the "bad stuff." I usually travel with my own soda, but it gets heavy and I drink a lot of it. I try to find a Whole Foods wherever I go so I can replenish my supply.

I do not drink coffee, but I like caffeine. I usually drink a natural diet soda that is sweetened with Stevia, but sometimes I go off the wagon and drink the "bad stuff." I usually travel with my own soda, but it gets heavy and I drink a lot of it. I try to find a Whole Foods wherever I go so I can replenish my supply.
I do bring my own seltzer water. Those Ice buckets on the AT sleepers come in rather handy! :) If we can, somehow, keep them filled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back