Sleeper LD-I'm hooked

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...something about hearing the semifores as you cross the grade crossings, have I left anything out?
Semaphore...

450px-Castleton_East_Junction_signal_box_59_signal_%281%29.jpg

Crossbuck with gates and signals...

00090320.jpg

Here's a question I'm facing. For an upcoming LD round trip, I can only afford a roomette one way. Is it better to be in the sleeper on the way out or the way back? I'm thinking probably the way back.
Between which two stations?
Chicago and Los Angeles. Looking at SWC out and TE back.
If it is one way only I would look at doing it on the TE as it is 3 nights as opposed to 2 nights on SWC.

Is there a post that says once you go sleeper long diistance, overnight, you're hooked. I changed my travel dates to go back to NO so I could get a sleeper. Meals included for 2, personal Attendent , stayed up late in lounge car laughing and talking with other passengers. Coach passengers said they tried to put them to bed, but that wasn't happening. We talked kids, politics, religion everything. Amtrak personnell came by, talked with us. Can't get that on a plane!! First class on plane at least 1000. Amtrak worth every penny. Great experience!!!
Personally, I sleep better on a moving train. The beds in the sleepers are comfortable, there is something about showering on a moving train that is more refreshing, something about waking up in the morning as the sun rises trying to guess where we are, something about seeing the sleepy small towns we go through, something about dinner in the diner, something about that first cup of coffee waiting in your car, something about hearing the rain hit the glass, something about hearing the semifores as you cross the grade crossings, have I left anything out?
Nope...you just hit about everything I love about traveling LD trains in the sleepers. There just simply is NOTHING else like it!!

Here's a question I'm facing. For an upcoming LD round trip, I can only afford a roomette one way. Is it better to be in the sleeper on the way out or the way back? I'm thinking probably the way back.
I think it should be on the way back because you'll have it to look forward to.
On the return trip.Nothing much worse than a few unruly drinkers on the train while you are tired and trying to get some sleep.We finished a 4 week trip on the LSL to BOS that way and it was grim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a post that says once you go sleeper long diistance, overnight, you're hooked. I changed my travel dates to go back to NO so I could get a sleeper. Meals included for 2, personal Attendent , stayed up late in lounge car laughing and talking with other passengers. Coach passengers said they tried to put them to bed, but that wasn't happening. We talked kids, politics, religion everything. Amtrak personnell came by, talked with us. Can't get that on a plane!! First class on plane at least 1000. Amtrak worth every penny. Great experience!!!
Personally, I sleep better on a moving train. The beds in the sleepers are comfortable, there is something about showering on a moving train that is more refreshing, something about waking up in the morning as the sun rises trying to guess where we are, something about seeing the sleepy small towns we go through, something about dinner in the diner, something about that first cup of coffee waiting in your car, something about hearing the rain hit the glass, something about hearing the semifores as you cross the grade crossings, have I left anything out?
I'm with you 100%. They use to say that your vacation begins the moment you step aboard the train. It still does for me.

I guess I'm in the minority. My first sleeper car experience was sufficiently bad to put me off ever using it again, even on an overnight trip. I had bad customer service from both the sleeper car attendant and the dining car to the point where I didn't tip either of them.

On a related note, Amtrak gave me a $25 travel voucher for my trouble. Are those transferable? I moving to a town where rail travel isn't really feasible, and I'd be willing to give the voucher to my parents.

I guess I'm in the minority. My first sleeper car experience was sufficiently bad to put me off ever using it again, even on an overnight trip. I had bad customer service from both the sleeper car attendant and the dining car to the point where I didn't tip either of them.

On a related note, Amtrak gave me a $25 travel voucher for my trouble. Are those transferable? I moving to a town where rail travel isn't really feasible, and I'd be willing to give the voucher to my parents.
On my 1st ever Long Distance Train Trip I had one of the most RudeHuman Beings , my SCA , I've ever met. I came home pissed off, BIG TIME!!!

Since then, I've traveled on every LD Route at least once, some 4 or 5 times, & am craving more!!!

Trust Me, Dont Give Up!!!

Have Fun In Spite Of Them

I've had to make that choice a few times, and without regard for what train and which stations it is (which can make a big difference), I go with the roomette on the way home: to finish the trip well rested (and upbeat about the experience) rather than weary and wondering why I rode so far in coach and slept badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back