Sleeper Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFLady

Train Attendant
I've been reading some trip reports and other comments about sleeper cars. I understand that the standard superliner sleeper has two beds. I will be travelling alone, will they put someone else in there with me? You know like they do on cruise lines unless you double book the room? :)

USAFLady said:
I've been reading some trip reports and other comments about sleeper cars. I understand that the standard superliner sleeper has two beds. I will be travelling alone, will they put someone else in there with me? You know like they do on cruise lines unless you double book the room? :)
:lol: Nope - it's yours only.

USAFLady said:
Nope, you will have the whole room to yourself. Amtrak does not double book a room.

thanks guys, as you can tell by all the quesitons I'm asking I'm really trying to do all the research I can about my big trip. How accurate are the trains about arriving and leaving ontime?

USAFLady said:
thanks guys, as you can tell by all the quesitons I'm asking I'm really trying to do all the research I can about my big trip. How accurate are the trains about arriving and leaving ontime?
Well, if you were to look up "late" in the dictionary, an picture of an Amtrak trian would probably be right next to it. It all depends how late a train gets. It can be because of Freight traffic, signal outages, weather, equipment failure. Normally, a train will arrive within 2 hours of its schedule, which has been considered "on-time" to many.

my plane gets into NO at 11am and the train is scheduled to leave at 1:55. Arrives in Chicago at 9 am and leaves at 2:10pm. My trip stops in Minot so it don't matter what time I roll in.

On the return, it's supposed to leave at 9:42pm and get into Chicago at 3:45pm departing for NO at 8pm arriving there at 3.40pm the next day. My plane leaves NO at 6 pm that nite.... think that's an implausible scenario?

I guess what I'm really asking is if I'm late say getting back into Chicago from Minot, am I stuck in Chicago if the train for NO has already left? and if so, does Amtrak put you up in a hotel till the next train is avaliable? :rolleyes:

USAFLady said:
my plane gets into NO at 11am and the train is scheduled to leave at 1:55. Arrives in Chicago at 9 am and leaves at 2:10pm. My trip stops in Minot so it don't matter what time I roll in.
On the return, it's supposed to leave at 9:42pm and get into Chicago at 3:45pm departing for NO at 8pm arriving there at 3.40pm the next day. My plane leaves NO at 6 pm that nite.... think that's an implausible scenario?

I guess what I'm really asking is if I'm late say getting back into Chicago from Minot, am I stuck in Chicago if the train for NO has already left? and if so, does Amtrak put you up in a hotel till the next train is avaliable? :rolleyes:
Over the past years the Empire Builder has had one of the best on-time records for Amtrak, but who knows, all could change come December. The connection in Chicago should be fine, but Amtrak will re-accomodate you if something were to happen. I think your leaving yourself too little time in New Orleans between the train and plane comming back. If the City of New Orleans is over 2 hours late, which can happen, you'll most likely miss your flight back home. If you can, try to get a 7pm, or better, 8pm flight.

I have to research the return tickets from NO to MGM, I found a ticket for 127 R/T but it's that 6 pm flight.... so if I can get one leaving at 8 pm that nite it would be better in your opinion? I'm coming back on saturday, so whatever time I end up here doesn't really matter as I will still have sunday to get readjusted for work

USAFLady said:
I have to research the return tickets from NO to MGM, I found a ticket for 127 R/T but it's that 6 pm flight.... so if I can get one leaving at 8 pm that nite it would be better in your opinion? I'm coming back on saturday, so whatever time I end up here doesn't really matter as I will still have sunday to get readjusted for work
8pm would be the best, maybe even 9pm. I'm just saying this because with late trains, the time it takes to get to the airport, plus security, and other obsticles I would not want you and I don't think you would want to miss your flight. 8pm or later should be okay though. :)

Amfleet said:
USAFLady said:
I have to research the return tickets from NO to MGM, I found a ticket for 127 R/T but it's that 6 pm flight.... so if I can get one leaving at 8 pm that nite it would be better in your opinion?  I'm coming back on saturday, so whatever time I end up here doesn't really matter as I will still have sunday to get readjusted for work
8pm would be the best, maybe even 9pm. I'm just saying this because with late trains, the time it takes to get to the airport, plus security, and other obsticles I would not want you and I don't think you would want to miss your flight. 8pm or later should be okay though. :)
I agree with amfleet. :)

I just checked expedia...... there is a later flight at 7:30... but the cost is now $803...... not acceptable..... even if I don't make the flight I want, and I end up putting myself up in a hotel, its got to be cheaper than buying that round trip ticket

USAFLady said:
I just checked expedia...... there is a later flight at 7:30... but the cost is now $803...... not acceptable..... even if I don't make the flight I want, and I end up putting myself up in a hotel, its got to be cheaper than buying that round trip ticket
That is pricey. ;)

I'll just have to hope the trains gods are with me that day.... as for the airport secuirty, I normally don't have a big problem with that when I use my military ID..... :rolleyes:

remember it took me 20 years to get that service.... most people are kewl about veterans... but some aren't....

You should be aware that many of the airlines have changed the rules on discounted tickets, and a discounted ticket may have no value after the departure of your scheduled flight. It used to be that the value of a ticket could be applied to another ticket after paying a change fee within a year of purchase. If you miss your flight you might have no option but to buy a full fare ticket.

It might be worth considering an overnight stay in New Orleans before your flight.

Most airlines have what they call the “flat tire” rule. If you miss your flight but arrive at the airport within two hours of the original flight departure, they will accommodate you on a standby basis on a later flight.

If you are running real late and will miss the flight by more than two hours, call the airline and let them know. You can rebook prior to the original flight departure time. But the fare will be higher (maybe a LOT higher), and you will be hit with the reticketing fee, usually $100.

Or, you could try something adventurous. Get off in Hammond, LA and hop a cab from there to New Orleans Louis Armstrong Airport (MSY). Hammond is the last stop on the train before New Orleans and New Orleans Airport is only about a 50 minute drive on I-55 from Hammond. The City of New Orleans is scheduled to arrive at Hammond at 1:43pm, and then get to New Orleans at 3:40pm. Even if you got to Hammond as late as 4:00pm, you could still make your 6:00pm flight.

Remember also that evening rush hour on I-10 out of downtown New Orleans toward the airport is often a disaster (been there, done that). A cab ride at even 4:30pm from New Orleans Union Station may or may not get you to MSY in time, so the Hammond option might even be preferable riding to New Orleans. Coming in from Hammond, you could save at least an hour plus avoid the New Orleans rush hour traffic problems.

The downside of the Hammond plan, of course, is the price of a 50 mile cab ride and availability of cabs. If you were to consider this option, I would call a cab company in Hammond ahead of time to check rates (Red Carpet Taxi: 985-542-5074). Then, on the train, if things are looking bad for arrival in New Orleans (and remember that traffic issue), I would call the cab company from the train to ensure a cab is waiting in Hammond for the run to MSY.

Or, you could try something adventurous. Get off in Hammond, LA and hop a cab from there to New Orleans Louis Armstrong Airport (MSY).
:lol: Trains, planes and automobiles. :lol:

snake said:
Or, you could try something adventurous. Get off in Hammond, LA and hop a cab from there to New Orleans Louis Armstrong Airport (MSY).
:lol: Trains, planes and automobiles. :lol:
Those aren't pillows!!!

:lol:

seajay

I decided not to chance the plane and what or whatnot the airline would do for me, I found a R/T ticket departing on orginal day from MGM and returning on the 4th at 9 in the am to MGM (totally avoiding any time issues) for $106 bucks, and a hotel with shuttle service to airport for $37... can't beat that.....

thanks for all your help... if you hadn't warned me about trains being late like that I could have been stuck in New Orleans without a ticket to get home... :rolleyes:

USAFLady said:
I decided not to chance the plane and what or whatnot the airline would do for me, I found a R/T ticket departing on orginal day from MGM and returning on the 4th at 9 in the am to MGM (totally avoiding any time issues) for $106 bucks, and a hotel with shuttle service to airport for $37... can't beat that.....
thanks for all your help... if you hadn't warned me about trains being late like that I could have been stuck in New Orleans without a ticket to get home... :rolleyes:
That is a great move. Now you can enjoy the train ride without having to keep looking at you watch and wondering if you'll make the flight.

oh yeah, now no matter how late the train is getting in or how long it takes to claim the luggage plus get a taxi, I can have a leisurely nite in NO, even sleep in the next morning, eat my free breakfast at the hotel for booking on line, take their complimentary shuttle back to the hotel, and still get home in time sunday to relax, unwind from my trip, and get ready for work the next day. thanks again everyone for all your advice... :p

USAFLady said:
oh yeah, now no matter how late the train is getting in or how long it takes to claim the luggage plus get a taxi, I can have a leisurely nite in NO, even sleep in the next morning, eat my free breakfast at the hotel for booking on line, take their complimentary shuttle back to the hotel, and still get home in time sunday to relax, unwind from my trip, and get ready for work the next day. thanks again everyone for all your advice... :p
No problem. Enjoy your trip and let us know how everything goes.

oh I will I plan on taking my digital camera and digital video. I will also take lots of notes so that I can do a detailed trip report to post at the trip report site.

Now the only thing that could affect my trip is (1) my kid for some reason doesn't come home on time from this deployment, or (2) she does, and between now and then she gets deployed again... so everyone say your prayers that now that I seems I've got all my travel arrangements worked out Uncle Sam doesn't screw it up.... :rolleyes:

USAFLady said:
oh I will I plan on taking my digital camera and digital video. I will also take lots of notes so that I can do a detailed trip report to post at the trip report site.
Now the only thing that could affect my trip is (1) my kid for some reason doesn't come home on time from this deployment, or (2) she does, and between now and then she gets deployed again... so everyone say your prayers that now that I seems I've got all my travel arrangements worked out Uncle Sam doesn't screw it up.... :rolleyes:
I live right near an airforce base and a lot of the kids I go to school with and work with have parents and/or siblings in the armed forces, so I can understand where you are coming from. My thoughts and prayers are always with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back