sleeper car room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and are booked on the city of new orleans.Our car number is 5900 and our compartment is 'c'. Does anyone know if this room is upstairs lower level or mid car ?

Upstairs, "C" is a bedroom and all bedrooms are on the upper level. Only 4 roomettes, the family room, and the handicapped room are on the lower level.

You can see the layout of the car in this graphic. You are traveling in a Superliner sleeping car.

The two youngest boys and I are booked in bedroom E on both ways on the Capitol Limited for a mid-March trip. Is it the last car coming from the end or the first car starting at the stairs. We made these reservations in June, so do they fill them randomely or start somewhere and ork to the opposite end?

First by price, then by desirability. For example rooms 11-14 downstairs are usually at a lower bucket than the rooms upstairs. Then the computer knows that Room 2 is better than 10 since its closer to the center, so it fills 2 first. But you can always call reservations and ask them to change it if you know there's no fare difference, for example Room 1 vs. Room 2.

But room 1 is the sleeper attendant's in the Superliner sleepers. I don't think he/she would enjoy being roomless! :lol:

Thanks for the explanation, though, Batt. That makes perfect sense since the two last-minute roomettes I purchased on the Southwest Chief for bargain-basement prices were both assigned on the lower level (room 14 one way and room 11 the other). While I usually enjoy being on the upper level more, I would take any room for the right price!

I was demonstrating a point, and room 1 is available on the Viewliner. It should also be noted that 5900 is usually on the rear of the CONO, you have to walk through the coaches and Lounge to get to the Diner.

jccollins said:
But room 1 is the sleeper attendant's in the Superliner sleepers. I don't think he/she would enjoy being roomless! :lol:
Actually there are some attendants who would enjoy being roomless. Then they could go take a room in the dorm and not have to hear the call bells that some pax seem to ring incesantly.

Back