Sleeper Bucket Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchBishop

Train Attendant
First, let me say this AmSnag is a great tool.

Now, I am planning a trip in either Nov or Dec and have checked for the cheapest days to travel, My question, is there any possibility that the price would go down? What would have to happen to cause that?

It's possible. Last year I booked a trip in April for travel in Nov. I booked coach on the CL and a roomette on the CZ. A few months later I found the cost of roomettes on the CL had dropped about $100, so I changed the reservation by adding the roomette to that leg of my trip. I think the tailgate had gone up slightly, so I didn't save exactly the difference in price for the roomette.

Now that sleeper prices aren't starting at low/lower buckets, yes, I've seen them come down. Prices are adjusted to demand, so if they aren't selling, they will put them in a lower bucket. Between now and Nov/Dec, there is a chance they will drop, although when it gets within 2-3 months of departure, the chances of it lessen.

If you are talking the peak travel days around Thanksgiving or Christmas, though, those will probably only go up.

Fares can go down. But, more often they can go up as well. If you are traveling during a peak travel time, the chances of going down are less.

If the currently displayed fares are begrudgingly acceptable to you and you will purchase at that price if you have to, go ahead and purchase the tickets but do not have them printed yet. Between now and closer to your departure, feel free to check for fare changes and call Amtrak if you see them drop and have your reservation re-booked at the lower fare.

Thanks, all good points. We can be a little flexable, so will keep an eye out.

FYI, right now I have booked the Empire Builder to Chicago around the Christmas holidays (leave Everett 12/19, return 12/30). Roomettes were $330, which is low bucket or close to it, based on Amsnag research. I grabbed it.

It would help to tell us which route and what prices you are seeing. Maybe those prices are already lowest bucket.
My trip was going to to be OMA - PDX. I am flexible, meaning anywhere from mid-November to New Year's Day for the return.

Your question does raise another, how do you know what the lowest bucket price on a given route is?

It would help to tell us which route and what prices you are seeing. Maybe those prices are already lowest bucket.
My trip was going to to be OMA - PDX. I am flexible, meaning anywhere from mid-November to New Year's Day for the return.

Your question does raise another, how do you know what the lowest bucket price on a given route is?
Google up Amsnag.net, a great site developed by one of our Members (Paul M.)It will allow you to look @ Fares and Upgrades for all Amtrak LD Trains for up to 30 days @ a time, a Great Tool! :cool:

Google up Amsnag.net, a great site developed by one of our Members (Paul M.)It will allow you to look @ Fares and Upgrades for all Amtrak LD Trains for up to 30 days @ a time, a Great Tool! :cool:
I heard that if you are from Texas, you are charged double for sleeper accommodations!!

I heard that if you are from Texas, you are charged double for sleeper accommodations!!
Ive heard that in New Jersey you have to pay Kickbacks on all Transportation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Run Amsnag for low demand travel periods a few months out (February is one of my favorites), also for 11 months out. You'll find the low buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back