Sleep Quality

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessie Hokie

Train Attendant
It has been awhile, but I seem to recall that the last time I traveled in a bedroom (in which the bed is perpendicular to the rails), I had some trouble sleeping due to the lateral motion of the car (CSX trackwork!) rocking me lengthwise (head to toe?), which I found somewhat annoying and unnatural.

On the other hand, I have found the side to side rocking in a roomette (in which the bed is parallel to the rails) is a sure cure for insomnia and a much more natural feel, like a baby being rocked in a crib.

Is it just me? Or do others have preferences for accomodations based on sleep quality and the orientation of the bed in relation to the rails (and not considering room space, in which the bedroom obviously has an advantage)?

I have been in bedrooms on three trips and never in a roomette (until this summer!). I have never had any problems sleeping because of the motion.

I have been in both. I too dont like the head to toe motion. The side to side motion rocks me right to sleep no matter what kind of day I had. I like the change of having more room in the bedroom, but for sleeping the roomette has it hands down. Also I like my head toward the head end of the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care either way. As long as its on a train, what do I care? That being said, I prefer the bedrooms wider lower berth.

I definately prefer the roomette for that reason, (in line with the direction of travel), but I like my feet towards the head end of the train particularly on the viewliner top bunk. I love sleeping with the curtains open so that I can watch the world roll by.

I prefer sleeping crosswise, with the "unnatural" head-toe rocking (though, if you consider how one might hold and rock a baby in your arms, it's closer to this than the side-to-side that a baby rocker/roomette does).

I prefer a bed.

After that it doesn't matter which way it goes or which way I face. I'm happy as long as it's not coach.

I prefer a bed.
After that it doesn't matter which way it goes or which way I face. I'm happy as long as it's not coach.
Having once done WAS-CHI-EMY on the Capitol Limited and California Zephyr (without so much as a side trip to Giordano's), all in coach, I can certainly appreciate that sentiment! :p

I've found that it's way easier to be suddenly jolted awake at four in the morning when you're sleeping in a bedroom than a roomette due to this reasoning. It's definately less "natural". As for my head being lower than my feet, extra pillows seem to solve that problem. But all in all, if you stay up late enough (which if you love train travel, you can't really avoid), then you're prone to just fall dead asleep as long as there's some kind of a bed present, whether it be parallel or perpendicular to the train's motions. There just comes a point where your mind says, "I'm sleepy..... that's a bed..... that'll due just fine!"

I've found that it's way easier to be suddenly jolted awake at four in the morning when you're sleeping in a bedroom than a roomette due to this reasoning. It's definately less "natural". As for my head being lower than my feet, extra pillows seem to solve that problem. But all in all, if you stay up late enough (which if you love train travel, you can't really avoid), then you're prone to just fall dead asleep as long as there's some kind of a bed present, whether it be parallel or perpendicular to the train's motions. There just comes a point where your mind says, "I'm sleepy..... that's a bed..... that'll due just fine!"
Yup, I took way too many naps on train during daytime and sleep a little longer at night. Must be the "perfect" rocker.

Yup, I took way too many naps on train during daytime and sleep a little longer at night. Must be the "perfect" rocker.
Bedrooms make for much better napping I've found... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back