Skipping Thruway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
What happens if you do not take the Thruway segment to the train? There is a slight possibility that someone can drive me to the train and I would not need the Thruway. Since it may be a last minute decision I know I would not cancel the thruway or ask for a refund. Does not appearing for the Thruway segment have any effect on the rest of the trip?

Be careful: My understanding go the rules is that if you don't get your ticket scanned for the first portion of the trip (Thruway or train) then all subsequent space on the same reservation are canceled.

I had no problem missing a thruway connection to board a northbound Silver Meteor.
The sleeper attendant still found my name on the reservation no problem. Might be different if the reservation doesn't include sleepers.

Be careful: My understanding go the rules is that if you don't get your ticket scanned for the first portion of the trip (Thruway or train) then all subsequent space on the same reservation are canceled.
Thanks. I guess that if I am certain of a ride I will have to change reservation first.

They do scan tickets on our thruway bus (at least, the last time I took one, pre-pandemic). Not sure if they transmit any data contemporaneously, though, our driver said it's for reimbursement from Amtrak. The thruway bus I take between Bend and Chemult is operated by a contractor, not by Amtrak.

That said, Hubby and I once did exactly what you are proposing. Ten to fifteen years ago, we got a lift with friends from Phoenix to Flagstaff for a westbound SWC. This allowed us to spend time (and go out to dinner) with our local friends. There was no problem getting on the train, but while waiting in the station one of the people that had taken that AmBus said their departure had been delayed while they waited for some people who never showed up. Oops! I did not confess that we were the ones who caused the snafu.

After that experience, I'd get my tickets changed next time, at least a note attached to the reservation that we wouldn't be on the bus. You never know if the driver now has a connected scanner, or if s/he will know you are on the manifest and therefore wait for you till it's almost too late.

Back