SJC to TAC in December: Coast Star-Late: how late recently?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyuri_ft

Service Attendant
Dear Forum,

How late is the Starlate lately? Would hate to arrive Olympia-Lacey or Tacoma at 3 am.

If it is soo bad - would it be allowed for the sleeper passengers stay till Seattle and remain in the car till early morning? The difference in the fare is minimal, so maybe I should buy the ticket till Seattle?

Going back is of lesser concern, as I understand the big delays will be after PDX.

Also: are the "perks" like the Pacific Parlor cars still there?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The fate of the Pacific Parlour car is being beaten to death in this thread.

As to the timeleness of the Coast Starlight, I'd suggest that you check Amtrak.com's train status board. I'm riding the Late for Sure Limited and the Southwest Chief on Saturday. I've been running those trains through Amtrak.com and only once in the last few days I would have miscconnected in Chicago.

If you wish to stay on the train in Seattle in order to avoid de-training at 3 in the morning in Tacoma, I'd suggest that you purcahse a ticket to Seattle and inform the car attendant that if you arrive in Tacoma at a reasonable hour, that you would like to detrain.

I've never tried this with a sleeper, but I've done a few time on the Acela. I buy a ticket to Boston South Station. I call my wife who is coming to the train station to get me when the train reaches New Haven, Connecticut. If she is on the south shore, I'll exit at Route 128. If she is in Rhode Island, or if Providence is more convenient for her, I get off at Providence. If not, I'll stay on to Boston South Station.

Edited for clarity

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't have a problem letting you off the train early. I would advise you to let your attendant know by Portland that you plan on doing this so that he/she can advise the Conductor so the train can be properly spotted for you to detrain. The big issue is when you get on after you are ticketed to, because if there is a no show many times they will sell that room to another passenger.

Thans to all, I bought the tickets to from SJC to Tacoma (just in case) and the trip back will start in Lacey.

While getting the tickets on Nov. 17 I spotted the southbound CSL with 120+ :-( Asked about it, was told it's still like that every day going south. Interestingly, the passengers told me it had only about 90+ in SAC.

The contest was as follows:

Couch Nr. 31021

Couch Nr. 34073

csl13ci3.jpg

Couch Nr. 34056

Lounge Nr. 33034

csl6hz6.jpg

Diner Nr. 38068

Pacific Parlour Car Nr. 39970

csl14dw4.jpg

Sleeper Nr. 32109

Sleeper Nr. 32084