Silver Star Wilm to Tampa

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Me, my husband and our three boys, ages 8, 6, and 3 are heading to Punta Gorda, Florida for Christmas and with the cost of gas on the rise we have been looking at alternative ways to get there. While searching I stumbled across the Amtrak site and started checking it out. It would cost virtually the same to drive at today's gas prices, with the hotel along the way, as it would to take Amtrak.

We are just a little skeptical with the 3 boys. I have checked out a couple of website and have read horror stories. We would be leaving from Wilmingtont, DE on the Silver Star on December 23 planning on getting in to Tampa on Christmas Eve then taking a bus from Tampa to Port Charlotte. What are the chances we will actually get there when planned? Does anyone have any direct experiences with children and traveling down to Tampa? Is there any way to see the actual route that is traveled and the number of stops along the way?

I have been reading a number of good postings on this site that would definitely prepare us for this venture. We thought it would be a nice change of pace from driving. My husband is 6'2" and 275 lbs will the seats be big enough for him to be comfortable?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You would get there but not nearly as planned most likely but the train is a good way to go with 3 Kids. My 1st Amtrak trip with my Dad on 303/304 Chicago to St. Louis I loved it was late the Locomotive Broke right infront of the Diesel Shop in Chicago :eek: :p . They will have fun but expect Amtrak to be late.

On Track On Line has some good tips on Amtrak travel for those that are new to it. Amtrak's website also has tips, including the schedule page. The Silver Star's schedule is the third one down on the page linked (Auto Train/Caroinian...). The schedule lists the stops and times for the train along the route.

Amtrak can sometimes be delayed due to interference with other trains (especially freight trains, as Amtrak doesn't own the tracks on which your train would operate south of Washington, DC, and has to rely on the host freight railroads for dispatching, and they don't always do the best job of giving Amtrak priority). The important thing is to expect delays, and don't get too upset. If you go into the trip not worrying too much about the schedule, you'll probably be fine. The train might arrive on time, or it might arrive an hour or two late. It's hard to say at this point how your train would run. Unfortunately, the Silver Service (including the Silver Star and Silver Meteor, and another train, called the Palmetto, between New York and Savannah, GA) doesn't have the greatest on-time performance. As long as being on time isn't the absolute most important thing to you, Amtrak trips can be very enjoyable.

As for the trip, with young kids, it's best to bring games, coloring books, snacks, etc., to keep them busy. If you are traveling in coach, the seats are comfortable, and provide ample legroom to stretch out (your husband should have no trouble. Sleepers can be a bit expensive (book early for best prices), but offer privacy, and also include meals in the cost of the room (so your food is covered; if traveling in coach you have to pay for the meals). Also note that sleeper prices are per room and not per person. Therefore, one roomette would cost the same whether one or two people use it. For your family, two roomettes would be fine (bedrooms are larger, but much more expensive). Coach is also a decent and economical way to travel, especially if traveling for only one night.

While traveling, you might want to relax in the cafe/lounge car, which has large tables and booth seating to spread out, play cards, etc. The dining car offers restaurant-style meals and service, but is only open during the meal times.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here. There is probably well over a million miles worth of Amtrak experience on this forum, and we've faced all sorts of situations and could help you prepare for your trip.

rmadisonwi said:
There is probably well over a million miles worth of Amtrak experience on this forum, and we've faced all sorts of situations and could help you prepare for your trip.
My, my, ain't THAT the truth!! :D <_< OBS...

Back