Silver Star will room attendant get your food

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also does he bring you coffee in the morning or do you go somewhere to get it

The room attendant will make coffee in the coffee maker located near the attendant's room (providing the machine is working). I believe some attendants will offer to bring you coffee and some may not.

I am not sure about the attendant going to the cafe car and getting your meals. Ideally, the attendants should be available to bring you your meals, especially if you are unable to easily walk to the cafe car. However, the attendant may be busy and not be available at the time you want your meals. I have had attendants offer to get hot water for me from the cafe car, but have never had anything else delivered to my room by a Silver Star SCA.

Within their most current employees manual the TASC refers to Train Attendant-Sleeping Car
Their responsibilities are documented in Section 6 - Pages 33 thru 40

The TASC "En Route Responsibilities" start at Section 6 Page 37.

Within Section 4 with regards to Coffee:
Item b) Wake-Up Service
• Offer complimentary wake-up service of coffee, hot tea or orange juice at the time requested by the customer. This service is available between the hours of 6:00am – 11:00am.
<snip>

And with regards to eating in your room:
Item f) In Room Meal Service
• “In Room Meal Service” is available to every customer.
<snip>

Here's a link to the most current
Service Standards Train Service & On-Board Service Employees - March 11, 2019
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...-service-standards-manual-031119-redacted.pdf

If you do decide to eat in your room you should tip the car attendant per meal as you would in the dining room. 20% seems most common. Be prepared to be patient as the SCA also has to do this between other duties, especially at stops to board or deboard passengers.

As mentioned, coffee will be located in the center of of each sleeper cars next to the stairs. (better than most hotels)

Disclaimer... your millage will vary with your attendant. ;-)
Enjoy your upcoming trip.

Ive never had any in room food/coffee brought to me on the Star. I serve myself and like to walk around go for my own coffee and food/snacks I require in the Cafe. Most attendants on the Star would take care of your needs if requested but could be hit or miss also. Ice always seems available on the Silvers.

Ive never had any in room food/coffee brought to me

Or even offered by any SCA. Some knocks on my door by my SCA as we approached Washington on the Northbound Silver Meteor to get me awake was most appreciated. I needed to get dressed. Coffee was the least of my concerns.

I am not sure about the attendant going to the cafe car and getting your meals. Ideally, the attendants should be available to bring you your meals, especially if you are unable to easily walk to the cafe car. However, the attendant may be busy and not be available at the time you want your meals. I have had attendants offer to get hot water for me from the cafe car, but have never had anything else delivered to my room by a Silver Star SCA.

How would a passenger pay?

I understand having a meal from the Dining Car delivered. There is no money involved for a sleeper passenger other than the tip.

On the Star-vation, how would the Café work? You hand the SCA your credit card or a wad of cash, and the SCA hands it to the Café car attendant to pay for your meal?

I have never noticed any coffee makers or ice machines at the boarding steps while getting on or off the Star at a ground level platform
The coffee machines are in the sleeper cars on the Star, near the attendant's room. There are no ice machines, but, if there is ice, it is stored near the coffee machine in a sink.

87368FF7-10B1-4AAF-A33F-388AFD4C7810.jpeg EBF3A6B0-29D2-4E1C-AFE4-799409308E17.jpeg
I was commenting on the "steps/stairs" that were mentioned as being on the Star ... not the actual/real location of the coffee and the ice - since the Star is a single level train.
If you consider the steps to the vestibules as “steps,” the coffee maker and ice are pretty close to the “steps” as they are located next to the vestibule. I’m on a Viewliner right now and took photos. There is no ice in the sink at this time. There may or may not be later in the trip.

Or even offered by any SCA. Some knocks on my door by my SCA as we approached Washington on the Northbound Silver Meteor to get me awake was most appreciated. I needed to get dressed. Coffee was the least of my concerns.
I had a nice lady SCA on one of the Silvers a while back knock as we left West Palm Beach. Asked if Id like some cold orange juice. That was nice and I said yes. A rare event though.

The station for coffee and orange juice is on the A end of the car. This is the side without the vestibule.

The vestibule is on the B end of the car the B standing for brake because that’s where the hand brakes are. Now the way Amtrak orients their sleepers the B end of the next car abuts the A end where the stand is.

Back