Silver Star Menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaboard92

Engineer
I don't know if you guys have noticed this yet or not. But on Amtrak Food Facts website the Silver Star has an entire menu complete with the steak and every other option. And it's current the half roasted chicken isn't there instead herb chicken breast. Is this maybe a sign of good things to come?

I was on the Silver Star yesterday and there was no dining car. Those menu offerings linked above were not offered in the cafe car, although they did have 4 "new" hot entrees.

I was on the Silver Star yesterday and there was no dining car. Those menu offerings linked above were not offered in the cafe car, although they did have 4 "new" hot entrees.
Ah! So the new hot entries we heard about at the NARP meeting have already been deployed. Good to know.

Ben & Jerry's would sell far more if they ever offered that....
I think so too, but it's fair to point out that most B&J flavors are "concoctions" which tend to either not sell well, or become problematic to carry in an en masse foodservice setting (think nut allergies, etc).

Or it could be something simpler, such as that their supplier gives them a better deal on Nestlé [parent of Häagen-Dazs] products than they do on Unilever products [parent of Ben & Jerry's].

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so too, but it's fair to point out that most B&J flavors are "concoctions" which tend to either not sell well, or become problematic to carry in an en masse foodservice setting (think nut allergies, etc).
They could offer just B&J's vanilla ice cream, like they offered only H&D vanilla. Anything but that bunny junk.

They could offer just B&J's vanilla ice cream, like they offered only H&D vanilla. Anything but that bunny junk.
Originally Amtrak offered multiple Haagen Dazs flavors. Then they cut back to just vanilla. They also bounced around a few different other brands before settling on Blue Bunny brand Coolwhip. How that crap legally qualifies as legitimate "ice cream" is simply beyond my comprehension. At this point there is nothing on Amtrak's dessert menu that's worth the cost in coach or the calories in a sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back