Silver Star involved in Trespasser Hit in Dania Beach (5/12)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one P-42, which would ordinarily make it the Silver Star. No dining car (and third Viewliner appears to be the baggage car) confirms it.

I wish the News Media would tell the story as it was. A Trespasser on railroad property was hit, not a pedestrian on a roadway or sidewalk. The media makes it sound like anyone at anytime is allowed to walk anywhere on railroad property. Was this someone crossing or was waiting for the opportunity, which unfortunately we have seen more of recently. Prayers for the family and the train's engineer.

It was at Griffin Rd/Gulf Stream Way, a particularly bad crossing at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport Tri-Rail Station. There are two separate roads with about 11 lanes of traffic and three sidewalks all crossing there. The railroad comes around a blind curve from the north, though that wasn't a factor in today's incident. This is one of the few Tri-Rail stations without an overhead walkway, so everyone going to/from the parking garage to the northbound side has to walk across the tracks.

I wish the News Media would tell the story as it was. A Trespasser on railroad property was hit, not a pedestrian on a roadway or sidewalk. The media makes it sound like anyone at anytime is allowed to walk anywhere on railroad property. Was this someone crossing or was waiting for the opportunity, which unfortunately we have seen more of recently. Prayers for the family and the train's engineer.
He was on the roadway, not exclusive rr property. Though technically he was trespassing if the gates were down, I think in this instance, reporting it as a pedestrian is appropriate.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back