Silver Service Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMattyMatt

Train Attendant
It's been many years since I rode Amtrak. Did a trip from Chicago - Las Vegas in an "Economy Bedroom" - that's what they used to call a roomette and back when they still went to Vegas. Also did a trip from Chicago to New York in a Slumbercoach - remember those??

Anyway this trip was from Deerfield Beach to Orlando in coach.

Took #98 on the way up. Train was exactly on time. The "Orlando" coach car was the last one. I was impressed by the comfort and leg room. Also was nice that they passed out pillows! I had a 12:00 lunch in the dining car. Please tell me these cars are from the 1950's?? It rode really rough but the food was good.

Returned on #91. On time! This time I was put in the first coach car. This trip was longer as it had to go over to Tampa and back. The odd thing was there was no dining car only two cafe cars. One had the tables set up like it was a dining car - how do they serve proper meals with this car?? I am kicking myself for not trying to have lunch there. I only had a hot dog and some wine in the lounge. Got home a little late as we were stopped on the tracks twice.

Great trip and planning more in the future!

What happened to delay Silver Star 91 by 4 and a half hours arriving in Columbia, SC today?

My daughter is on this train from Columbia to Orlando...first rail trip....how do I find out when it will arrive in Orlando now?

Call 1-800-USA-Rail, "Julie"(the Computer) will Answer, follow Prompts with Answers (Train Status, Train #91,Orlando,Yes) or you can also Log on to the Amtrak.com Web Site and Choose Train Status and fill in the Blanks to receive the same Info! Calling the Station isnt easy, they usually Don't Answer or you get a Recording or Re-directed to Amtrak National anyway!

Currently this train is 4+ Hours late in Georgia due to a Train/Trespasser Incident!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also send a text message (ORL 91) to 401-268-7251 and you will receive a text message back with the ETA

The reason 91 had 2 café cars and no diner is probably because the Dining Car was "bad ordered". (Remember they are 60 years old! :eek: ) Because it used a café car, there was no grill and so they could not prepare many things that require a grill - steaks, eggs and omelets cooked to order, etc...

The reason 91 had 2 café cars and no diner is probably because the Dining Car was "bad ordered". (Remember they are 60 years old! :eek: ) Because it used a café car, there was no grill and so they could not prepare many things that require a grill - steaks, eggs and omelets cooked to order, etc...
Wow, hopefully they'll have the dining car back within a month! I'll be doing my trip RVR to FTL and back next day just for the joy of being on the train and eating omelets, burgers and steak, and having those meals with uneducated convicts! :eek: So when you say café car, are you saying that the only food available is like bearclaws, hotdogs and pizza... or is it more equipped like the Cardinal's diner, where they don't have a full kitchen, but still serve meals?

Linda T, it will be like the Cardinal. Dining Car Service... Many of the same menu items, just not the cooked to order items like steaks.

All of the Amfleet II cafe cars were rebuilt so they can be substituted as a diner when needed. Very Smart move!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back