Silver Meteor To Florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ciship

Taking the Silver Meteor from Washington D.C. to Orlando, Florida area. Last summer when I made this trip, I had someone pick me up in Orlando and I would like to try another "pick up" station between Jacksonville and Orlando. Was thinking about Deland, Fl? Anyone have any suggestions. Prefer quaint little station rather than crazy, crowded station.

Help...and thanks!

DeLand is a tiny station as is Palatka. Winter Park is a small station with beautiful surroundings. If the train is on time, and you are in a sleeper, you should have time to eat a quick lunch before Winter Park. If the train is late, you definitely will have time to eat.

DeLand is a tiny station as is Palatka. Winter Park is a small station with beautiful surroundings. If the train is on time, and you are in a sleeper, you should have time to eat a quick lunch before Winter Park. If the train is late, you definitely will have time to eat.
I think you're biased. LOL!

I would pick Winter Park but it is crazy and crowded. It is, however, quite quaint! Deland is nice. How about Kissimmee?

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Kissimmee?
Kissimmee is not between JAX and ORL and I think Kissimmee can be a bit crazy, even though the area around the station can be considered quaint.

Yes, I am biased!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Winter Park is a smaller station, but I wouldn't consider it "quaint". The station was built in 1962, and has all the architectural appeal of a gas station, in my opinion. That said, its surroundings in downtown Winter Park are very charming and beautiful, and if you have time to kill there are nearby restaurants, shopping, etc.

DeLand, on the other hand, offers a very quaint station with lots of architectural charm, and it is in beautiful condition. DeLand's historic train station (built 1918) is unlike most Florida stations of that era in that it is several miles from downtown and outside the city limits (back in the day DeLand had three in-town stations served by a spur line from "DeLand Junction", as the current station was originally known). As such, its setting is quite rural compared to Winter Park. Below are three photos from DeLand station.

In terms of crowds, Winter Park is the busier of the two, on average. In 2011, WPK saw 96 daily passengers vs. 79 for DLD.

Kissimmee is a good suggestion if you are looking for "quaint", however it is the busiest of the three. Still, its 2011 average of 131 passengers/day is a far cry from Orlando's 491.

Coming from the DC area, my definition of 'crazy and busy' might be different than yours, but I would choose Winter Park. The station is not special, but the surrounding area is much more pleasant than the Orlando station surroundings. I've only passed through DeLand, but I prefer Winter Park.

I'd also vote for Winter Park.

If the train is late, those meeting it can hang around near the train station yet be able to eat or shop within sight of it.

If those meeting the train are late, the passenger has something to do other than staring at the station walls.

I'm with Pennyk on this one. DeLand is a nice station, but WPK is in a really charming area with parks, trees, cafes, restaurants, etc. and its surroundings are much more appealing than KIS and it's closer to Orlando proper. Given a choice, I'd pick WPK every time. My cousin even got married :wub: in the station there... the former freighthouse half of the station is available to rent for special events.

Edit: typo

I'd also pick Winter Park! If your ride is late and it's not raining (or cold, right Penny
laugh.gif
), there is a beautiful park right across the tracks from the station!

An additional vote for Winter Park. A beautiful park area across from the station. A very interesting farmers market on Saturdays-shops, museums and some of the nicest Amtrak employees in the station I have met :D

Winter Park is a smaller station, but I wouldn't consider it "quaint". The station was built in 1962
Not everyone likes the architectural style of the stations built by the ACL after World War II (also Savannah, St Petersburg, Charleston, Yemassee, etc). But the fact that they were built at all and still have utility today is a statement to ACL's commitment to passenger service. By the early 1960s most railroads were tearing stations down, not building new ones.

Though I do like Deland, I'd also suggest Winter Park for many of the reasons suggested above. It's rather easy to get lost on your way to the DLD station as it is out of town in a (relatively speaking) rural part of Florida.

Yep. Having used all three stations that are being discussed, my choice would be Winter Park too.

Of course if all that you want to do is go to Disney then Orlando or Kissimmee are better choices.

Thank you for all the great replies. I do recall passing by Winter Park and remember how attractive it was from my Amtrak seat while waiting for passengers to board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back