sightseer cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joro

Train Attendant
Do either the LSL or the Cap Ltd have a sightseer type car or will I be stuck in my roomette for both legs of my journey. Also, any recommended way to get from NYP out to Teaneck NJ. Thanks in advance.

The Capital is the only train in the northeast with a sightseer car. The Lake Shore can not handle superliners due to clearance issues going into NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do either the LSL or the Cap Ltd have a sightseer type car or will I be stuck in my roomette for both legs of my journey. Also, any recommended way to get from NYP out to Teaneck NJ. Thanks in advance.
Getting from Penn Station to Teaneck NJ via public transportation would be to take any NJT train west to Secaucus Junction, get off and transfer to a Pascack Valley Line train north to New Bridge Landing or Anderson Street stations, both of which are just west of Teaneck.

The Capital is the only train in the northeast with a sightseer car. The Lake Shore can not handle superliners due to clearance issues going into NYC.
Does the LSL have a lounge car where you can meet and greet new faces?

joro said:
1349829444[/url]' post='398553']
amtkstn said:
1349828284[/url]' post='398549']The Capital is the only train in the northeast with a sightseer car. The Lake Shore can not handle superliners due to clearance issues going into NYC.
Does the LSL have a lounge car where you can meet and greet new faces?
It will have the usual "cafe" car, with tables, and the snack bar, but regular windows like a coach.

If you are on the LSL during the Winter you may well have a second unmanned Lounge just ahead of the NYC Sleepers. That rotates onto the Silver Service as an active Lounge being sent to warmer weather for a nice thaw out.

Single level sightseer car would not be a bad idea. At least for a long distance trains.
May well come with variation of Viewliners.

To get to Teaneck, you can also take buses from Port Authority Bus Terminal, may be more convinient than the Pascack Valley Line which dosen't run very often.

The regular cafe car is still a lot better than the roomette for viewing the passing scenery, since you can see all around on both sides of the train. I tend to hang out there quite a bit whether I have a roomette or a coach seat.

My dad used to take the train to and from New York every day during my high school years living in New Jersey - but I forgot that it was called Pascack Valley Line! That brought back some memories! (I went to Pascack Valley High School for a couple of years).

The regular cafe car is still a lot better than the roomette for viewing the passing scenery, since you can see all around on both sides of the train. I tend to hang out there quite a bit whether I have a roomette or a coach seat.

My dad used to take the train to and from New York every day during my high school years living in New Jersey - but I forgot that it was called Pascack Valley Line! That brought back some memories! (I went to Pascack Valley High School for a couple of years).
Thanks all. Reversed my route so next week will be on the LSL and the Cap Ltd on the return run. I suppose that in the cafe car of the LSL they want you to be buying something to eat or drink if you want to hang out in that car.

Depends on if it's crowded. I usually show up and buy a drink (or chips, or something "cheap") then grab a table. I've never been asked to vacate my spot by an official due to me not having food or drink with me. I do not however hog the table, and will let others sit down with me.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back