Siemens ACS-64 roll-out in Sacramento

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So these new electrics only have a cab at one end? Don't the current locos have cabs at both ends of the unit?
If I am seeing it right, I guess there will be some operational changes to make sure the cab is always forward.
Look again. They have cabs at both ends.

This is the best shot I have seen of both ends...

Press_INR_DSC_2552-450x300.jpg

There is a pole in the way, but it sure does not look like a cab. Not saying it is not, but have not seen a picture showing the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me. It does have cabs at both ends. If it did not it would be in violation of the RFP that it is trying to fulfill, and we'd have a very ticked of Amtrak throwing a hissy-fit about it, right about now. :)

Trust me. It does have cabs at both ends. If it did not it would be in violation of the RFP that it is trying to fulfill, and we'd have a very ticked of Amtrak throwing a hissy-fit about it, right about now. :)
I have no doubts that is does (because you told me it does). Just could not see it in any pics.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the flag. I have a flag on my vehicle and in my home. But to me it seems to invoke what UP has done with their motors. It'd be like Amtrak putting a pony on there, we'd all scream NS. I'd like to see something more unique to Amtrak, not a copycat. But, by all means there should be a flag on these engines, like what they did with the P-40s.

Here........

Lots of pictures and videos. Check it out :)
The Siemens/Amtrak webisode video shows the ACS-64 pulling away from the camera with the cab on the "rear" end. Pretty obvious that the ACS-64 has cabs on both ends.

I see the reason for the (very) large waving flag on the side of the first unit. It is the center backdrop behind the podium for the speeches, so it is prominent in the videos of the PR speeches. take that, Congressman Mica! :p

This is the best shot I have seen of both ends...
Press_INR_DSC_2552-450x300.jpg

There is a pole in the way, but it sure does not look like a cab. Not saying it is not, but have not seen a picture showing the whole thing.
You can see it in that picture right there - look at the spot of daylight just to the right of the pole and below the blue top. You're looking through the window on the door and out the windshield and seeing the sky.

Was flipping thru the photos & had a thought. I'm pretty certain that the 3 that are outside for the PR/Media are in a temporary promotional paint scheme, as they don't seem to have reporting marks on the sides.

peter

Our dinner mates on the e/b EB last week was an excutive of the Amtrak engineer school in Delaware along with his wife. He spoke of the roll-out and the shortage of candidates for the school.

His wife revealed his position after learning of my lust for Amtrak travel and earning rewards.

"jin·go·ism (j ng g - z m). n. Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism."
I might be simple-minded, but when I saw the flag logo, my first thought was, "Terrific! Some good things are still Made in America!" It made me proud.
My thoughts also. My only issue is that having to use slightly Americanized imported technology is a symptom of the many ways we have let our leadership in things technological creep away.

Jingoism is probably one of the last problems the US has in its foreign policy. To those that are bugged by the flag such as TE and ACL_R_W, I say get over it. Most people in their countries have no problem with being nationalistic. It is just some that make noise about their problem with us having any nationalism of our own.

"jin·go·ism (j ng g - z m). n. Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism."
I might be simple-minded, but when I saw the flag logo, my first thought was, "Terrific! Some good things are still Made in America!" It made me proud.
My thoughts also. My only issue is that having to use slightly Americanized imported technology is a symptom of the many ways we have let our leadership in things technological creep away.

Jingoism is probably one of the last problems the US has in its foreign policy. To those that are bugged by the flag such as TE and ACL_R_W, I say get over it. Most people in their countries have no problem with being nationalistic. It is just some that make noise about their problem with us having any nationalism of our own.
I've lived and worked in many countries, and believe me, in every country I was there was one part of the people who were deeply embarrassed about too much flag-waving, and another part who did it nevertheless. There's no US exceptionalism in this. I grew up in the UK in an area that was quite cosmopolitan and left-leaning and just the fact that you had a flag in your window made people assume you were some sort of ultra-nationalist or na-zi. Fortunately the pendulum has swung back a bit since then and flags have become more normal. I've also lived in Germany, and for obvious historical reasons Germans are suspicious of people who get loud about flags. But there too self-confidence has recovered to the point that it's become more acceptable than it once was, although certain sectors of the population still frown upon it. Then I've also lived in Switzerland, where the flag is very common indeed, but i feel the pendulum is going the other way as you see less than you used to.

Do it seem to have a lot of overhang, or did the photographer use a very wide lens?
It does look like a longer overhang. Maybe the FRA requirements for added crumple zones added some. The trucks themselves look kind of long also - like the axles are farther apart than most locos.

. The trucks themselves look kind of long also - like the axles are farther apart than most locos.
A longer wheelbase is beneficiary to the reduction of hunting and bouncing at high speeds.

Furthermore, the length of the wheelbase may be exaggerated somewhat optically due to the flat sides of the engine coming down so far and thus making the wheels themselves appear smaller.

To those that are bugged by the flag such as TE and ACL_R_W, I say get over it. Most people in their countries have no problem with being nationalistic. It is just some that make noise about their problem with us having any nationalism of our own.
I have no problem with having the flag (actually, I think it could be made to look quite nice) but I think that something like this would be better in mesh with the design:

285px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

The "waving" aspect of the flag they choose just seems to clash with the starkly modern design of the rest of the paint scheme, and even the Siemens and Amtrak logos.

I've lived and worked in many countries, and believe me, in every country I was there was one part of the people who were deeply embarrassed about too much flag-waving, and another part who did it nevertheless. There's no US exceptionalism in this. I grew up in the UK in an area that was quite cosmopolitan and left-leaning and just the fact that you had a flag in your window made people assume you were some sort of ultra-nationalist or na-zi. Fortunately the pendulum has swung back a bit since then and flags have become more normal. I've also lived in Germany, and for obvious historical reasons Germans are suspicious of people who get loud about flags. But there too self-confidence has recovered to the point that it's become more acceptable than it once was, although certain sectors of the population still frown upon it. Then I've also lived in Switzerland, where the flag is very common indeed, but i feel the pendulum is going the other way as you see less than you used to.
This is very true in Germany, one would never see a loco adorned with a large German flag as Amtrak did.

Personally, as a German-American i would have loved to see both flags on the loco, since it's a German design built in the US :)

That said, as previously mentioned, I think this paint scheme was to provide a backdrop for the Politicians and Co. for the unveiling.

Where'd you live in Germany, cirdan?

I actually think the flag looks pretty good. As a military veteran, it usually seems appropriate to display the flag, although some times, places and events do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back