Showers on Amtrak Sleepers - What are they like?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will take from the overall consensus that the shower is for the most part clean and readily available.

LOnghai, yes, on the northbound number 14 'Coast Starlight' in August, I found my sleeper's shower to be fine: the hot water was copious, although compared to Australian and some other foreign trains, it was just ever so slightly peeving having to press the button for more water.

I kept it short, conscious that the supply is finite.

Towels were in good condition.

To be courteous to my fellow passengers, being aware of the finite supply of water, I take what I have heard called "Navy showers" (I was never in the Navy, so I don't know if that is accurate).

Press the button, or turn on the water (the showers are not all the same, not all of them have the button), let it get warm enough, wet down, shut off the shower if it doesn't have the button that runs down, lather up without the water running, then turn on the water and rinse.

I've had pretty good experiences. Be aware that if you shower while your train is in motion, you might end up recreating Lucy's cooking-dinner scene in "The Long, Long Trailer."

To be courteous to my fellow passengers, being aware of the finite supply of water, I take what I have heard called "Navy showers" (I was never in the Navy, so I don't know if that is accurate).

Press the button, or turn on the water (the showers are not all the same, not all of them have the button), let it get warm enough, wet down, shut off the shower if it doesn't have the button that runs down, lather up without the water running, then turn on the water and rinse.
That is indeed a Navy shower, speaking from six years' experience. Where you let the water just run and run is termed a "Hollywood shower" in the service. I was fortunate enough to be assigned to a ship with ample fresh water making capacity, so the strict water rationing guidelines known as "water hours" were never something I personally experienced.

I take Hollywood showers at home, but when I'm on the train I do still use the Navy technique to save water for fellow passengers.

Of the couple trains I've ridden, the shower was clean and worked well. Once they were all taken; so I had to go to the next car. Don't count on there being soap available.

The much more annoying thing was carrying everything (toiletries, change of clothes, towel, etc.) to the shower and back. It sometimes took multiple trips, thankfully the Superliner luggage rack is right there. Bring a caddy!

The small space somewhat forces this, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the VL roomettes, because they have a sink, you are likely to find washcloths and a couple of little soaps in addition to the squirt bottle. I've been lucky and had ample supplies in SL showers, including one SCA who had a little box set up with extra soaps, along with what looked like shampoo and conditioners from hotel/motel stays. I'm sure not all attendants are as diligent, and some passengers chiseling extra soaps wouldn't shock me either.

I had no idea there would be towels. To someone who is used to camp site showers that qualifies as luxury. :p

I am not familiar with Navy showers but my own shower is quick, usually in and out within 5 min unless there has been some extra strenuous activities which I do not expect on a train.

That is indeed a Navy shower, speaking from six years' experience. Where you let the water just run and run is termed a "Hollywood shower" in the service. I was fortunate enough to be assigned to a ship with ample fresh water making capacity, so the strict water rationing guidelines known as "water hours" were never something I personally experienced.

I take Hollywood showers at home, but when I'm on the train I do still use the Navy technique to save water for fellow passengers.
Navy showers are much better than Air Force fighter showers where you sit in the pilot's seat and the only way to get the water flowing is to try and land on a Navy carrier - and miss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back