Should I travel in a cabin for 1 or 2?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C&O RR

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I will be traveling alone. The price (50% sale ends today) between a cabin for one and a cabin for 2 is $405.

My question is, will I be A LOT happier ($400 worth) if I go with the larger cabin?

Thanks

When I travelled on the Canadian last month, a Cabin for One was originally $1200 but by the time I went to make a reservation it had dropped to $800. So I splurged!.....For the $1200 I was going to spend anyway…..I could now have single occupancy of a Cabin for Two. Certainly more room and the private toilet is in a small annex so at night you don’t have to raise the bed. I ended-up with my room being in Car 39.....the Park Car!

It was more comfortable for a four-night trip, but I’ve travelled in a Cabin for One for years and they’re just fine also! It’s personal preference.

The Cabin for One (Duplex Roomette) in the link below is the type you would find in a “Chateau” Sleeper. Those in a “Manor” Sleeper usually found on the Canadian are slightly larger and all on one level….not step-up.

The Cabin for Two (Bedroom) in the link below are the same as shown. The Manors also have a slightly larger Cabin for Two and it’s shown on the floorplan as a Compartment (but sold by VIA as a Cabin for Two also). And you could really splurge and get a “Cabin for Three” the old style “Drawing Room”

http://members.kos.net/sdgagnon/canb.html

Last edited by a moderator:
When I travelled on the Canadian last month, a Cabin for One was originally $1200 but by the time I went to make a reservation it had dropped to $800. So I splurged!.....For the $1200 I was going to spend anyway…..I could now have single occupancy of a Cabin for Two. Certainly more room and the private toilet is in a small annex so at night you don’t have to raise the bed. I ended-up with my room being in Car 39.....the Park Car!

It was more comfortable for a four-night trip, but I’ve travelled in a Cabin for One for years and they’re just fine also! It’s personal preference.

The Cabin for One (Duplex Roomette) in the link below is the type you would find in a “Chateau” Sleeper. Those in a “Manor” Sleeper usually found on the Canadian are slightly larger and all on one level….not step-up.

The Cabin for Two (Bedroom) in the link below are the same as shown. The Manors also have a slightly larger Cabin for Two and it’s shown on the floorplan as a Compartment (but sold by VIA as a Cabin for Two also). And you could really splurge and get a “Cabin for Three” the old style “Drawing Room”

http://members.kos.net/sdgagnon/canb.html
I also have done both and agree with everything that was said.

I have traveled in the cabin for 2 by myself and would do it again. It was worth the money to me - especially since my fare was an "express deal" or something like that.

The "Express Deals" were great bargains a year or two back, I feel that VIA is offering somewhat less in discounts more recently.... Fares have no doubt increased anyway, but I got a single room for about CAD $ 550 from Toronto to Vancouver around two years ago.

Ed :cool:

I will be traveling alone. The price (50% sale ends today) between a cabin for one and a cabin for 2 is $405.

My question is, will I be A LOT happier ($400 worth) if I go with the larger cabin?

Thanks
Remember, VIA quotes prices per person for expected occupancy, unlike Amtrak, for sleeper accomodations. You cannot get single occupancy of a bedroom (aka "Cabin for 2") for the same price as a roomette. I think the supplement is 150%, so you'd be paying a bit over $600. Try doing a dummy/dry run reservation and see what price you get.

BTW, the Compartment on the Manors is room "F", so if you get a "Cabin for 2" ask for one of those.

Back