Short trip Winter Park to ORL to Winter Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Today, June 19th, I traveled about 10 miles (round trip) by train on the Silver Meteor. I left Winter Park on Train 97 southbound, which was running about 40 minutes late because, according to the station attendant, there was a tree on the tracks near Sanford. The five mile trip from Winter Park to Orlando was uneventful. I was in coach in a bulkhead seat. Although I had a window seat, looking out the window for a long period of time would not be comfortable.

I was amazed when I entered the Orlando station. It was full of people. It is my home station and I can honestly say that I have never seen that many people in the station waiting for norbound 98, most of whom were families with children, plus a little league baseball team.

Today was my first time traveling on 98 northbound in coach. It was about 92 degrees outside when we were boarding and I think I stood outside for about 30 minutes waiting to board. I was dressed appropriately for 92 degree weather, but some of the boarding passengers were wearing "indoor/air conditioning" clothing. The temperature inside the coach was comfortable. I probably would have been cold if I was traveling longer than 5 miles.

The coach attendants were trying to board families together, so the singles were boarded last. Unfortunately, not all of the families were able to sit together. When some of the WPK passengers were getting off, the attendant moved a few people around, so families could sit together. Although the boarding process was slow and many passengers were complaining about standing outside in the heat, I think the attendants did as good of a job as they could in the circumstances.

I think it took longer to board today than any other time I had traveled on this train. However, all the other times, as soon as I boarded my sleeper, I went to the dining car for lunch.

As previous posts have indicated, the sleepers are in the front again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back