Shampoo Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought showering at stations was a bad idea because if they're filling the tank, water might stop flowing.
Regarding the brown water, they should just store it and release it in country areas (gps controlled). Save money and help grow strawberries.
Ok, I am too young to know these "old-timer" jokes, so can someone fill me in what is this deal with strawberries and brown water?

I traveled by train in India a lot where trains dump brown water straight onto the tracks, and never saw strawberries grow around there :eek:
I don't think this is really any more of a joke other than hinting that fecal material could be considered "fertilizer". If someone was serious about it, I don't believe that waste tanks would be suitable. There are just too many chemicals in there as well as urine, which contains salts and would essentially poison the ground for plants.

Cruise ships have been known to dump their sewage tanks in open water.

Just as an aside, I'd note that I've been an occasional backpacker. In certain areas I've seen recommendations to just pee on top of a large rock. The gist is that if one goes over dirt, that animals will sense it and dig up the dirt to try and get at the salts. Of course the animals don't seem to follow the same rules, but I guess that's considered normal while humans are simply visiting.

I didn't know the greywater still went onto the tracks. Learn something everyday. :)
On our first ever train ride (Southern RW) decades ago, we were amazed that the toilet dumped onto the tracks. As gross as that sounds, I know railroaders say it was actually harmless. There were signs saying to not flush while at stations. While in more populated areas, I'm not so sure, but through the woods I don't guess it hurt anything. (Yes, I know it's trespassing to be on the ROW.) I'd be lying if I said I'm sorry that practice changed, though!

AU is just a treasure-trove of information.
I rode the Florence Nightingale train between Moscow and Kursk. When you hit the flush pedal on the toilet, a flapper opens up and you see the railroad ties going by. This is typical of most trains in Russia. :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back