Service disruption on AGR sleeper travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I am going to be making reservations SPK-SEA, SPK-LAX or SPK-SFS round trip for travel in a deluxe bedroom (40,000 points)the third week of this month. I am not going to print the tickets until they day before, then knowing whether the westbound Builder is in route. If I pull the points and print the tickets how would AGR respond to the following:

1)On a SPK-SEA RT, say they only offer bustitution SPK-SEA round trip and I travel by bus both ways (instead of a bedroom). How would they adjust the points?

2)On a round trip to LAX or SFS, say that the SPK-PDX round trip legs are by bus but the CS segments are in bedrooms. Any adjustment?

I have traveled enough on Amtrak where I should know these answers, but need your feedback on what to expect.

In the Case of the Bustituion I'd say they would Charge you the Coach AGR Award Points, Refund the Bedroom Points Difference on an AGR Award! As to any Missed Meals, Customer Relations would Maybe? Send you a Voucher for Future Travel, mazybe $50!

In the Case of the Partial Trip by Bus, then the Bedroom on the CS, we just finished a Thread where I was in the Minority talking about about Vouchers for having Part of a Trip Routes Cancelled and asking for Compensation in the Form of a Voucher but AGR will Not Refund Points for Cancelled Trains but May send you a Voucher???, I got $300 when the Texas Eagle was Flooded out between AUS and CHI, used 19,000 Points (2 Zone Award) for a Roomette on the Cardinal CHI-BAL which I consider Fair!

I had to Buy an Airline Tiocket and FLY :rolleyes: AUS-PHX-MKE, cost me $235 on SWA, I missed one night and 5 Meals on the Texas Eagle so guess I was one of the Lucky Ones! YMMV??

Last edited by a moderator:
we did a 40k redemption for a 1 zone bedroom spk-den last week. bussed spk-pdx and pdx-spk. bedroom for the rest of the trip but our cz den-sac was around 9 hrs late. i called customer relations with those issues. was very surprised they are sending us an $1100 voucher for future travel. i wasn't unhappy with the customer relations agent. told him the rest of the trip was great but expected some adjustment and was, as i say, very pleasantly surprised.

Back