Service cascades in Washington state

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chief

Lead Service Attendant
Heavy rains caused several rivers in western Washington state to overflow their banks Sunday, and triggered mudslides that shut down passenger trains north and south of Seattle, authorities said.

The affected Amtrak services are:

* The Cascades train service between Portland and Vancouver, B.C. Is suspended, with alternate transportation

*The Coast Starlight (train #1 southbound and train #2 northbound) will originate and terminate in Portland, with alternate transportation north of Portland.

* The Empire Building,((sic)) which runs from Portland to Chicago via Seattle, will terminate in Spokane, Wash., with alternate transportation for passengers already on the train.

HA! The KOIN website typo calls Empire Builder "Empire Building."

KPAX report

And from Washington St. DOT:

All Amtrak Cascades train service is cancelled until early Tuesday morning except between Portland and Eugene due to mudslides. Amtrak is working to accommodate affected passengers with bus service but it will depend on available supply. Amtrak Cascades customers should call 1-800-872-7245 for more information.

KOIN report A big mudslide covered the railroad tracks six miles north of Vancouver, Wash., cutting off Amtrak service between Portland and Seattle. Another slide, between Seattle and Everett, Wash. forced the suspension of much of the rail traffic north of Seattle.

Heard about this on the news ... hopefully it gets cleaned up fast ... as Im taking the Coast starlight from EMY - SEA in the beginning of January
unsure.gif

*The Coast Starlight (train #1 southbound and train #2 northbound) will originate and terminate in Portland, with alternate transportation north of Portland.
Ummm...last time I checked the Starlight was 14 northbound and 11 southbound...

Ummm...last time I checked the Starlight was 14 northbound and 11 southbound...
I didn't write it,,,check the website that posted it; they had it wrong.

Kind of like I alluded to by noting the Empire Builder misspelling. Ummmm,,,

All I did was Copy-Paste. Got it?

Here's the alert from the Amtrak website:

December 12, 201010:30 am PST

Due to multiple mudslides north and south of Seattle, WA area, BNSF Railway has suspended rail traffic in the region through Tuesday morning, December 14.

A mudslide six miles north of Vancouver, WA on Saturday evening, December 11, caused the railroad to be shut down between Portland and Seattle. Another mudslide overnight between Seattle and Everett, WA has suspended rail traffic north of Seattle.

As a result, the following Amtrak services have been affected:

* Amtrak Cascades train service is suspended between Portland and Vancouver, BC, with alternate transportation

* Coast Starlight (Seattle - Los Angeles) train #11 (southbound) and train #14 (northbound) will originate and terminate in Portland, with alternate transportation

* Empire Builder (Portland/Seattle - Chicago) train #7(10) will terminate in Spokane, WA with alternate transportation for passengers already on the train. Train #8(12) will originate in Spokane, with alternate transportation.

* Amtrak Cascades service between Eugene, OR and Portland will not be affected.
So are 27 and 28 running to Portland, more or less, per normal?

Yes, they are.
So if a am booked on tommorow's train 7 from SPK to SEA I should be able to switch to 27 and take an afternoon Cascades to SEA??? I have tried to call Amtrak but it is a 23 minute wait for service right now... Just made the switch. It worked, though train 27 is running over 6 hours late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heavy rains caused several rivers in western Washington state to overflow their banks Sunday, and triggered mudslides that shut down passenger trains north and south of Seattle, authorities said.

The affected Amtrak services are:

* The Cascades train service between Portland and Vancouver, B.C. Is suspended, with alternate transportation

* The Empire Building,((sic)) which runs from Portland to Chicago via Seattle, will terminate in Spokane, Wash., with alternate transportation for passengers already on the train.

HA! The KOIN website typo calls Empire Builder "Empire Building."

KPAX report

And from Washington St. DOT:

All Amtrak Cascades train service is cancelled until early Tuesday morning except between Portland and Eugene due to mudslides. Amtrak is working to accommodate affected passengers with bus service but it will depend on available supply. Amtrak Cascades customers should call 1-800-872-7245 for more information.

KOIN report A big mudslide covered the railroad tracks six miles north of Vancouver, Wash., cutting off Amtrak service between Portland and Seattle. Another slide, between Seattle and Everett, Wash. forced the suspension of much of the rail traffic north of Seattle.
Lots of service disruptions...

http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak/status/StatusMaps/AmtrakStatusMapWest.htm

Yes, they are.
So if a am booked on tommorow's train 7 from SPK to SEA I should be able to switch to 27 and take an afternoon Cascades to SEA??? I have tried to call Amtrak but it is a 23 minute wait for service right now... Just made the switch. It worked, though train 27 is running over 6 hours late.
I thought Cascades service was suspended between PDX-VAN?

The Empire Builder departures from Chicago, Seattle, and Portland for Tuesday, December 14 are all cancelled due to weather concerns. Future service to be reviewed,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back