Service Alerts for weekend storm (1/19-20)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way it was done confused me.   I’m not ticketed on the Adirondack, so it may have been different if I was. But just glancing at the list, I was under the impression that the Adirondack was not canceled.  

And liability and lawsuits.  
That's a stretch... 
Really? In this litigation happy society?
If Amtrak is afraid of legal liability it's probably because they're worried about some event or condition they wouldn't be able to explain to the satisfaction of a prospective jury.  For instance, leaving a disabled train stranded for hours on end with limited services and little or no meaningful communication.  Other major rail networks operate before, during, and after adverse weather conditions but Amtrak isn't your typical passenger railway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another reason.  There is just one loco on the LSL right now. If it should die there would be no HEP and passengers would get very cold and any that got sick ------- 

Another reason.  There is just one loco on the LSL right now. If it should die there would be no HEP and passengers would get very cold and any that got sick ------- 
The LSL is still running with two P42s west of Albany. It's just that there's now only one P42 between Boston and Albany (and of course one P32 between New York and Albany)..

jis said:
That is actually an E-Ticket printed on paper ticket stock. It is not a real paper ticket. If it was it would not be a “document with no value” as stated in the bottom left corner.
Actually I am aware of that - excuse my terminology I just call it a paper ticket because that’s the closest thing they’ll give you for a regular reservation. I guess a more accurate description would be station agent ticket/quick trak eticket.) do they still have a couple instances where they actually use real value paper tickets? I thought I heard it’s used in some bus instances and for certain group tickets but can’t remember.

Actually I am aware of that - excuse my terminology I just call it a paper ticket because that’s the closest thing they’ll give you for a regular reservation. I guess a more accurate description would be station agent ticket/quick trak eticket.) do they still have a couple instances where they actually use real value paper tickets? I thought I heard it’s used in some bus instances and for certain group tickets but can’t remember.
Open Sleepers are valued paper tickets

I think the last time I used a value ticket was when by mistake I converted an e-Ticket to a Value Ticket for Auto Train, which was allowed just after Auto Train converted to E-Ticket, and that was most likely in circa 2014 or thereabouts.

Currently I just stash away a copy of the PDF in my standard Amtrak E-Tickets folder in iCloud so that I can access it from any and all of my devices, and just leave it at that.

I do the same with airline and other railway's e-tickets too. I found that Indian Railways explicitly discourages printing out e-tickets and suggests that they be presented on a device. Interestingly of late one can buy even a short distance unreserved suburban ticket electronically. I have not tried it. I guess it must come with an activation and expiry time or something like that.

Back