Service Alert: Capitol Limited Trains 29 and 30: Temporary Service Del

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
"Temporary delays of 1-4 hours due to heavy freight train congestion." This has been more than a temporary problem for months, if not longer. Why did Amtrak suddenly decide to issue a Service Alert now?

When is this ever going to end, this freight train congestion?? Think about many years ago when even more passenger trains operated - everything was handled - no problem. And with all the trucks on the road today, its just amazing.

When is this ever going to end, this freight train congestion?? Think about many years ago when even more passenger trains operated - everything was handled - no problem. And with all the trucks on the road today, its just amazing.
In speaking to Fremaux (Amtrak VP of Marketing) last week about the chronic CL and LSL delays west of Toledo, he mentioned that Amtrak was pretty much looking at every alternative for at least the CL, and confirmed that my idea of sending it west of PGH via the old Three Rivers routing, and possibly sending the Pennsylvanian upstream to Cleveland or Toledo to connect with the LSL was an option on the table. Again, nothing solid or even planned, but one example of how they realize push is coming to shove on this line, on a train that Fremaux wants to market as an east coast flagship train.

-Rafi

"Temporary delays of 1-4 hours due to heavy freight train congestion." This has been more than a temporary problem for months, if not longer. Why did Amtrak suddenly decide to issue a Service Alert now?
I can't answer the question of why Amtrak waited so long to issue a Service alert.

However, I can answer the question of what is going on. Anyone who follows Amtrak closely most likely already knows that the NS main that Amtrak uses between Toledo and Chicago has always had some congestion over the past several years. But so far for most of this year things have been really bad. Weather has played a small roll in the problems, as well as a few derailments, but they are just the tip of the iceberg.

My understanding is that NS is rebuilding Elkhart yard. That project started a few months ago and is expected to be a two year project. The rebuilding has reduced the yard's capacity by about 1/2, which means that NS has had to resort to parking trains on the mainline tracks to await their turn in the yard. On a Sunday night last April, my source told me that NS had some 16 freights parked on the mainline waiting for the yard.

So until NS figures out how to move more trains through the reduced yard, reroute other trains around that area, and block things better so that a yard stop is not required, Amtrak will continue to pay the price. :( And I'm not holding my breath either that NS will actually figure out how to do those things.

on a train that Fremaux wants to market as an east coast flagship train.
Remind Emmett that he already has a flagship train here on the East Coast. It's called the Auto Train. :)
Hah, yeah I knew someone would point that out as I was writing it. The impression I'm getting from Fremaux, though, is that when he worked out having the extra rebuilt EB cars being assigned to the Capitol, he was looking at having that "flagship" service available as a coast-to-coast routing (not a single train, obviously) that he could then take and market. He didn't say this specifically, but that's the impression I got, and one can tell that he's pretty bummed out about the Capitol/LSL delays west of Toledo, which prevent him from being able to really market the service.

That said, when he gave his presentation in March at the NARP meeting in Baltimore, he did spend some time talking about how the Auto Train is a flagship and one of the trains Amtrak likes to be proud of, so I don't think that service is getting forgotten about (and rightfully so, given its numbers and profit margin).

-Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back